Electric field problem, I got it right But I don't know if the book and I have the s

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric force on a -5.00nC point charge placed at P, which is located on a circular arc with two other point charges. The approach used by the person asking the question involved using the top and bottom charges as the same, except for their vectors, and dividing by 1nC as a "test charge". This approach was confirmed to be correct by a scientist, who also noted that dividing by 1nC was not necessary in this case.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

a0fe8ee4-2998-423a-9b5e-d85c4d685e9d.gif

Three point charges are located on a circular arc as shown above. Find the electric force that would be on a -5.00nC point charge placed at P. Take r = 4.00cm

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I did it is to treat the top charge and bottom as the same, except for the vectors. I call the blue charge q2 and the 3.00nC as q1 and the -5.00nC as q3

[tex]k\frac{q_{1} q_{3}}{r^2}<cos30,sin30> + k\frac{q_{1}q_{3}}{r^2}<cos30, -sin30> [/tex] + [tex] k\frac{q_{2}q_{3}}{r^2}<1,0>[/tex]

Simplifying

[tex]\frac{9q_{3}}{16 \times 10^-^4}<3\sqrt{3} - 2, 0>[/tex] = -8.98 x 105N/C

Which is exactly what the book had and I was very very happy, but I also held back

Concern I deducted that the -5.00nC is going to change the [tex]\vec_E[/tex] somehow, so I took the force as [tex]k\frac{q_{1}q_{3}}{r^2}[/tex] and then I secretly divided by 1nC as a "test charge". Now my question is, is my approach what the book wanted? Or did I get it by luck? Feel free to crush my spirit.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I would like to clarify that your approach is correct and you have found the correct answer. The electric force on a point charge does not depend on the charge of the point charge itself, so dividing by 1nC was not necessary in this case. However, it is a good practice to use a test charge when solving problems involving electric forces, so your approach was not wrong either. Keep up the good work!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that an electric charge has on other charges. It is represented by a vector with both magnitude and direction.

2. How is an electric field problem solved?

To solve an electric field problem, you need to use the formulas and equations that describe the relationship between electric charges and the electric field. You also need to use the principle of superposition, which states that the total electric field at a point is the vector sum of the electric fields due to each individual charge.

3. What is the role of Coulomb's Law in electric field problems?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the force between two charged particles. In electric field problems, it is used to calculate the magnitude and direction of the electric field due to a single point charge.

4. How does the distance between charges affect the electric field?

The distance between charges has a direct impact on the strength of the electric field. As the distance between charges increases, the electric field decreases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse-square law, meaning that it is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between charges.

5. How can I check if my answer to an electric field problem is correct?

To check if your answer to an electric field problem is correct, you can use the principle of conservation of energy. This states that the work done by the electric field on a charge should be equal to the change in potential energy of the charge. You can also use online calculators or ask a teacher or peer to verify your answer.