Calculating Electric Field in the First Quadrant: What is the Next Step?

In summary, the question asks for the calculation of the electric field at a point in the x-y plane in the first quadrant, given two thin, semi-infinite rods with uniform linear charge density along the positive x-axis and y-axis. The solution involves integrating the contributions from each rod, with attention to the direction of the electric field and considering them as vectors.
camrylx

Homework Statement

A thin, semi-infinite rod with a uniform linear charge density (lambda) (in units of
C/m) lies along the positive x-axis from x = 0 to x = 1; a similar rod lies
along the positive y-axis from y = 0 to y = 1. Calculate the
electric field at a point in the x-y plane in the first quadrant.

Homework Equations

This is a calc based course. Intergration is required for this problem. If you need a diagram I do have one.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
camrylx said:

Homework Statement

A thin, semi-infinite rod with a uniform linear charge density (lambda) (in units of
C/m) lies along the positive x-axis from x = 0 to x = 1; a similar rod lies
along the positive y-axis from y = 0 to y = 1. Calculate the
electric field at a point in the x-y plane in the first quadrant.

Homework Equations

This is a calc based course. Intergration is required for this problem. If you need a diagram I do have one.

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi and welcome to the forum!
In this forum you have to show an attempt, so that we can help you where you're stuck.

This is one question that I am not that sure how to get started with.

[tex]d\vec E = \frac{kdQ \vec r}{r^3}[/tex]. What is worth dQ in the case of a straight segment of length dx of the rod?
Once you have [tex]d\vec E[/tex], you just have to integrate (choosing the appropriate limits of integration) to get [tex]\vec E[/tex].
I suggest you to start by drawing the situation. Put a point [tex](x_0,y_0)[/tex] in the first quadrant. Tackle the problem first with the x-axis rod. Calculate the E field due a small element dx of it, then integrate to get the E field (in point [tex](x_0,y_0)[/tex]) due to the whole x-axis rod.
Do the same for the y-axis rod and sum them up. Don't forget that they are vectors.

I hope it helps. Feel free to post any difficulties you encounter.

ok so I understand that for intergrating the 2 rods you set them up as
[tex]\int dE1x+dE2x[/tex] and the same for the y component but I am kinda stuck on what is next.

ok so I understand that for intergrating the 2 rods you set them up as
[tex]\int dE1x+dE2x[/tex] and the same for the y component but I am kinda stuck on what is next.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical concept that describes the influence that an electric charge has on other charges around it. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of an electric charge. Like charges repel each other, and opposite charges attract each other, creating an electric field between them. The strength of the field depends on the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

3. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured by the force that it exerts on a test charge placed in the field. This force is given by the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the test charge, and E is the electric field strength. The unit for electric field strength, volts per meter, can also be written as newtons per coulomb (N/C).

4. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field and electric potential are related, but they are not the same thing. Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is measured in units of volts (V). The electric field, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that describes the force per unit charge at a given point in the field.

5. How can electric fields be used in practical applications?

Electric fields have many practical applications, such as in electronic devices, power transmission, and medical equipment. They can also be used in industrial processes, such as electroplating and electrostatic painting. Electric fields are also used in scientific research, such as in particle accelerators, to study the behavior of charged particles.