Electric Field Strength Calculation for a Point 0.01m to the Left of a Charge

• Thread starter WardenOfTheMint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the electric field strength at a point 0.01m to the left of the middle charge. The equation for electric field and force are given, along with the constant. A diagram is provided and calculations are shown to arrive at a final answer of 7e7 N/C + (-9e7 N/C) + (-3e7 N/C) = -5e7 N/C. The direction of the field due to each charge is also considered.
WardenOfTheMint
Please help...! I tried!

I even draw this picture. Please help!
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5137/myillustrationql5.jpg

Homework Statement

Determine the electric field strength at a point 0.01m to the left of the middle charge.

Homework Equations

Electric Field
E = Ke (q / (r^2) )

Electric Force
F = Ke (q1q2 / r^2)

Constant
Ke = 9.00e9 Nm^2/C^2

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5137/myillustrationql5.jpg

Let 7e-6C be q1, 1.0e-6 q2, and -3e-6C q3.
So if you start at the middle charge and go 0.01m to the left, I imagine a point P, and the distance between the middle charge and point P should be 0.01m I think...

So from there...

E q1 on P = 9e9 Nm^2/C^2 ( 7e-6C / 0.03m^2 ) = 7e7 N / C.

E q2 on P = 9e9 Nm^2/C^2 ( 1e-6C / 0.01m^2 ) = 9e7 N / C.

E q3 on P = 9e9 Nm^2/C^2 ( -3e-6C / 0.03m^2 ) = -3e7 N / C. 0.03m because 0.01m+0.02m I think.

Enet = 7e7 + 9e7 - 3e7 = 1.3e8 N/C.

But that's wrong!

Then you have to find the magnitude (in Newtons) if a charge of -3e-6C is placed at this imaginary point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your signs are wrong... take right as positive, left as negative... what is the direction of the field due to the first charge... what is the direction of the field due to the second charge... and the third...

first thank learnphysc, you are always around!

i'm not getting it. E q1 on p should be positive shouldn't it? q1 is acting on point P forcing it to move right?

WardenOfTheMint said:
first thank learnphysc, you are always around!

i'm not getting it. E q1 on p should be positive shouldn't it? q1 is acting on point P forcing it to move right?

no prob. Yes, but what about q2 and q3?

oh yea. so E q2 on P should be negative because it's being to the left. ok i got it. does the negative charge push it also push it to the left?

so maybe the answer should be 7e7 N / C + ( -9e7 N / C) + ( -3e7 N / C) = -5e7N/C
i don't know the answer so i can only hope it's right

Last edited:
WardenOfTheMint said:
oh yea. so E q2 on P should be negative because it's being to the left. ok i got it. does the negative charge push it also push it to the left?

no the negative charge creates a field to the right... so it's positive...

If you're not sure of the direction of the field use a positive test charge in the place where you're trying to get the field... so the direction of the force acting on a positive test charge, is the direction of the field...

So the negative charge would attract a positive test charge towards the right... so it creates a positive field at that point...

WardenOfTheMint said:
so maybe the answer should be 7e7 N / C + ( -9e7 N / C) + ( -3e7 N / C) = -5e7N/C

should be +3e7 N/C for the negative charge.

so in electric field questions a positive charge will always "push" and the negative will do the "pulling'?

thanks! i got a confirmation it's right 7e7 N / C + ( -9e7 N / C) + ( 3e7 N / C) IS RIGHT! woohoo

WardenOfTheMint said:
so in electric field questions a positive charge will always "push" and the negative will do the "pulling'?

Yes, in electric field questions it is like that since the test charge is positive. but not in electric force though.

WardenOfTheMint said:
thanks! i got a confirmation it's right 7e7 N / C + ( -9e7 N / C) + ( 3e7 N / C) IS RIGHT! woohoo

Cool! :smile:

E = kq/d^2

Just add up all of the three vectors you get.

1. What should I do if I've tried everything and nothing works?

If you have exhausted all possible solutions and still cannot find a solution, it may be helpful to seek advice from others who may have more experience or expertise in the subject matter. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or taking a break and coming back to it with a fresh perspective.

2. How can I effectively communicate my problem to others for help?

When seeking help, it is important to clearly and concisely communicate the issue you are facing. Providing specific details and any steps you have already taken can help others better understand the problem and offer more targeted assistance. Additionally, using screenshots or providing error messages can also be helpful in conveying the issue.

3. Where is the best place to ask for help?

This depends on the nature of the problem. If it is related to a specific software or product, it may be best to reach out to their customer support team. If it is a more general issue, online forums or communities related to the topic may be a good place to seek help. Additionally, asking colleagues or peers who may have experience with the subject matter can also be beneficial.

4. How can I troubleshoot a problem on my own?

When troubleshooting a problem on your own, it is important to have a systematic approach. Start by identifying the specific issue and then research possible solutions or steps to take. It can also be helpful to try isolating the problem by ruling out potential causes. Keeping track of the steps you have taken and any changes you have made can also aid in finding a solution.

5. Is there a specific order I should try solutions in?

There is no specific order that must be followed when trying to find a solution to a problem. However, it is often helpful to start with simpler and more common solutions before moving on to more complex or advanced ones. It may also be beneficial to try solutions that have worked for others who have faced similar issues.