1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field strength (should be easy)

1. Feb 2, 2005 #1
    What is the electric field strength in a region where the flux through a: [tex]1.0cm \times 1.0cm[/tex] flat surface is: [tex]65N\frac{m^2}{C}[/tex], if the field is uniform and the surface is at right angles to the field?

[]
    []----> E
    []

Since the field points at a right angle to the surface we have a norm of 1. (cos(90) = 1).

So we have:

[tex]
    \phi = 65N\frac{m^2}{C}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    A = (1.0cm)^2 = (0.01m)^2 = 0.0001m^2
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    E= unknown
    [/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]
    \phi = E*A
    [/tex]

[tex]
    65N\frac{m^2}{C}=E (0.0001)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    E=\frac{65}{0.0001}\frac{Nm^2}{C}
    [/tex]

Thus:
    [tex]
    E=650000N\frac{m^2}{C}
    [/tex]

Did I do this math correctly? I just feel like I am doing something wrong here. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2005 #2
    Your answer is correct, but let me just point something out.
    The norm is a unit vector that is perpendicular to the surface, so in this case its parallel to the electric field so the angle (theta) between the norm and the E is 0. cos(0) = 1,
    cos(90) = 0 ( I think you knew this but just made careless/typographical error )

4. Feb 2, 2005 #3
    hehe, so careful with latex... not so careful with plain text.

I just started this physics course, so all the reinforcement (even mistakes) is awesome... thanks for the double check :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?