Electric field strength (should be easy)

In summary, the electric field strength in a region where the flux through a 1.0cm x 1.0cm flat surface is 65N/m^2/C, if the field is uniform and the surface is at right angles to the field, is 650,000 N/m^2/C. This can be calculated by using the formula E = \frac{\phi}{A}, where E is the electric field strength, \phi is the flux, and A is the area of the surface.
FrogPad
What is the electric field strength in a region where the flux through a: [tex]1.0cm \times 1.0cm[/tex] flat surface is: [tex]65N\frac{m^2}{C}[/tex], if the field is uniform and the surface is at right angles to the field?

[]
[]----> E
[]

Since the field points at a right angle to the surface we have a norm of 1. (cos(90) = 1).

So we have:

[tex]
\phi = 65N\frac{m^2}{C}
[/tex]
[tex]
A = (1.0cm)^2 = (0.01m)^2 = 0.0001m^2
[/tex]
[tex]
E= unknown
[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]
\phi = E*A
[/tex]

[tex]
65N\frac{m^2}{C}=E (0.0001)
[/tex]
[tex]
E=\frac{65}{0.0001}\frac{Nm^2}{C}
[/tex]

Thus:
[tex]
E=650000N\frac{m^2}{C}
[/tex]

Did I do this math correctly? I just feel like I am doing something wrong here. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct, but let me just point something out.
The norm is a unit vector that is perpendicular to the surface, so in this case its parallel to the electric field so the angle (theta) between the norm and the E is 0. cos(0) = 1,
cos(90) = 0 ( I think you knew this but just made careless/typographical error )

hehe, so careful with latex... not so careful with plain text.

I just started this physics course, so all the reinforcement (even mistakes) is awesome... thanks for the double check :)

1. What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength is a measure of the intensity of an electric field at a given point. It is defined as the amount of force per unit charge that an electric field exerts on a stationary, positive test charge at that point.

2. How is electric field strength calculated?

Electric field strength is calculated by dividing the force exerted by the electric field on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. The equation is E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

3. What is the unit of electric field strength?

The SI unit of electric field strength is volts per meter (V/m). However, other units such as newtons per coulomb (N/C) or newtons per charge (N/Q) are also commonly used.

4. How does distance affect electric field strength?

According to Coulomb's law, electric field strength decreases as the distance from the source of the field increases. This means that the farther away an object is from the source, the weaker the electric field will be.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric field strength?

Electric field strength is used in a variety of applications, including the design of electronic devices such as capacitors and semiconductors, and in the transmission and distribution of electric power. It is also important in understanding and predicting the behavior of lightning strikes and other atmospheric phenomena.