Electric Field and charge location

In summary: Sorry for the confusion. In summary, the given problem involves a 6.0mC charge experiencing a force of 2.0x10^-3 N in the +x-direction at a certain point in space. To find the electric field before the charge was placed there, we can use the equation E=F/Q. If the 6mC charge were replaced by a -2.0mC charge, the resulting force would be determined by the equation F=(kQ1Q2)/r^2. However, the value of R is not needed to find the field before the new charge is placed, as the new charge reacts to the field due to other charges, not its own field.
jeremy de leon

Homework Statement

A 6.0mC charge experiences a force of 2.0x10^-3 N in the +x-direction at a certain point in space.
A. What was the electric field at that location before the charge was placed there
B. What would be the force if the 6mC charge were replaced by a -2.0mC charge?[/B]

Homework Equations

E=F/Q
F=(kQ1Q2)/r^2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm actually quite clueless as I think that the given problem lacks information.

I've tried having to use E=F/Q to try and solve for [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
jeremy de leon said:
I've tried having to use E=F/Q to try and solve for
... yes, please go on o_O

It got cut off, sorry. :)
To solve for the R but it just wouldn't work. So I've got no more ideas for this. I couldn't think of any other solution.

jeremy de leon said:
It got cut off, sorry. :)
To solve for the R but it just wouldn't work. So I've got no more ideas for this. I couldn't think of any other solution.
You don't need R to find the field. You were on the right track with E = F/Q.

Yeah I got the electric field but how do i get the electric field BEFORE the charge was placed there?

Sorry, this is really confusing me. :/

The value that you got will be the field before the new charge is placed. The new charge reacts to the field that is due to other charges, not to its own field. Of course, if another charge were to be brought into the picture, then the new charge would feel the effects of the previous field plus the that of the field due to the original Q, and Q would also feel the new charge.

FAQ: Electric Field and charge location

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle due to the presence of other charged particles. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is created by the presence of electric charges.

2. How is an electric field calculated?

The electric field at a given point is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a test charge at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. It is also affected by the distance between the charges and the medium between them, as well as any other charges that may be present.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy of a charged particle due to its position in an electric field. Electric field, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is a measure of the energy of a charge, while electric field is a measure of the force acting on a charge.

4. How does the location of charge affect the electric field?

The location of charge affects the electric field in several ways. As the distance between charges increases, the electric field decreases in strength. Additionally, the direction of the electric field is determined by the relative positions of the charges. Charges of the same sign repel each other, creating an outward electric field, while charges of opposite signs attract each other, creating an inward electric field.

5. How can we use electric field to determine the location of charges?

By measuring the strength and direction of the electric field at different points, we can use mathematical equations, such as Coulomb's law, to calculate the location and magnitude of charges. This is often done in experimental settings, such as in physics labs, to determine the properties of unknown charges.

Back