Electric Fields and Kinematics

In summary, the x-component of the electron's velocity is Vo*cos(20°), while the y-component is Vo*sin(20°).
jpierce879

Homework Statement

In the figure below, an electron is shot at an initial speed of v0 = 2.25 × 106 m/s, at angle θ0 = 20.0o from an x axis. It moves through a uniform electric field = (5.04 N/C) . A screen for detecting electrons is positioned parallel to the y axis, at distance x = 3.23 m. What is (a) the x component and (b) the y component of the velocity of the electron when it hits the screen?

Homework Equations

E = F/q; F = E*q
F = m*a; a = F/m = E*q/m
t = Dx/Vx
Vy = Vo + Ay*t

The Attempt at a Solution

It would probably be easier to look at the attached image to see my work, but I'll try explaining my logic here anyway. The x-component of the velocity is the same as the initial x-component since there is no horizontal acceleration - it turns out to be Vo*cos(20°).

The second part, however, I've had a lot of trouble on. I've tried it multiple times so it doesn't seem to be a calculator error. My logic here is that since fields point from + to - and the magnitude of field strength at any point doesn't depend on the distance from whatever's causing the field, the electron (being negatively charged) accelerates in the -y direction. My work is shown in the attached image. I was just wondering if my logic is correct, and if so then is it just a calculation error on my part?

Attachments

• asdfs.jpg
    asdfs.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK but the numbers in the attached solution do not match the numbers that you posted in the problem statement.

Last edited:
Sorry, when the answer inputted is incorrect the question generates new values to prevent you from just guessing randomly; the screenshot is from a past attempt.

So it's most likely a calculator error I'm making when plugging in the values? I've tried it at least 5 times and double checked it, but I always seem to get part (b) wrong. Also, I've neglected gravity because it's negligible compared to the electrostatic force.

jpierce879 said:
So it's most likely a calculator error I'm making when plugging in the values? I've tried it at least 5 times and double checked it, but I always seem to get part (b) wrong. Also, I've neglected gravity because it's negligible compared to the electrostatic force.
I did part (b) for the screen shot and I agree with you both with the method and the numbers. It is probably an error with inputting the formula that Blackboard or WebAssign or MasteringPhysics (or whatever evil thing controls this question) uses to determine whether your answer is correct. If I were you, I would take my solution to my teacher and ask him/her to show me what I did wrong. You might end up doing the entire class a favor.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds an electrically charged particle. It is created by the presence of an electric charge and affects other charged particles within its vicinity.

2. How do electric fields affect charged particles?

Electric fields exert a force on charged particles, causing them to move in a specific direction. The direction of the force depends on the charge of the particle and the direction of the electric field.

3. What is the relationship between electric fields and kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of the motion of objects. In the presence of an electric field, charged particles experience a force that causes them to move. Therefore, electric fields are a factor in the kinematics of charged particles.

4. How do you calculate the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is determined using the formula E = F/q, where E represents the electric field strength, F is the force experienced by the charged particle, and q is the charge of the particle.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric fields and kinematics?

Electric fields and kinematics have a wide range of applications, including the operation of electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones, the movement of particles in particle accelerators, and the generation of electricity through power plants.