Electric fields by point charges

E = (0.15, 0.3, 0.45) nCIn summary, the conversation is discussing the process of finding the electric field created by three point charges, with given values for the charges and coordinates. The formula used is E = (kq/r^2) * r-hat, and the solution involves finding the magnitude and direction of the electric field vector at a specific point.
tkim90

Homework Statement

2d9cso3.jpg

*ignore the given numbers in the image, mine is different*

My numbers are:
Q1: 1nC
Q2: 8nC
Q3: -6nC

Homework Equations

[tex]
E = \frac{kq}{r^2} * \hat{r}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I only did (a1) so far. I know (a2) involves the exact same process (find r and plug it into the formula), except I don't know how to express it in coordinates since they're not on the same axes.

r = <? , ? , ?>
If i know r I think I could solve the problem.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance.a1:Q1=1nC, Q2=8nC, r= <1, 2, 3>Electric Field:E = \frac{kq}{r^2} * \hat{r}E = \frac{1*9E9 * 1nC}{3^2} * \frac{<1,2,3>}{\sqrt{14}}E = \frac{3E9 * 1nC}{14} * \frac{<1,2,3>}{\sqrt{14}}E = \frac{3E9 * 1nC}{14} * <\frac{1}{\sqrt{14}}, \frac{2}{\sqrt{14}}, \frac{3}{\sqrt{14}}>E = (\frac{3E9 * 1nC * 1}{14\sqrt{14}}, \frac{3E9 * 1nC * 2}{14\sqrt{14}}, \frac{3E9 * 1nC * 3}{14\sqrt{14}})

Hello, it seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of electric fields by point charges. For part (a1), you correctly identified the equation for electric fields and found the distance, r, between the two charges. To solve part (a2), you can use the same process of finding the distance between the two charges, but instead of using coordinates, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the two charges. This will give you the value of r that you can then plug into the equation for electric fields. I hope this helps, and keep up the good work with your problem-solving skills!

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged object has on other charged objects around it. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How are electric fields created by point charges?

Electric fields are created by point charges through the principle of Coulomb's Law. This law states that the magnitude of the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two charges.

What is the difference between a positive and negative point charge in an electric field?

A positive point charge will create an electric field that radiates outwards, while a negative point charge will create an electric field that radiates inwards. Additionally, positive charges experience a repulsive force in an electric field while negative charges experience an attractive force.

How does the strength of an electric field change with distance from a point charge?

The strength of an electric field decreases as the distance from a point charge increases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning that as the distance doubles, the strength of the field decreases by a factor of four.

What is the unit of measurement for electric fields?

The unit of measurement for electric fields is the Newton per Coulomb (N/C). This unit represents the force per unit charge that a point charge would experience in an electric field.