Electric fields of a hallow ball

In summary, a hollow ball with a radius of 5 cm and a negative charge of -9.5e-08 C is rubbed with a silk cloth. Location A is inside the sphere, 1 cm from the surface, while Location B is outside the sphere, 2 cm from the surface. The electric field at Location A is not 0 N/C due to the insulating nature of the ball, and all of the charges on the surface of the sphere contribute to the electric field at Location A. The electric field at Location B is 2.14 x 10^6 N/C. Placing a hydrogen atom at Location A would polarize it because of the absence of free ions in an insulator. Therefore,
Kibbel

Homework Statement

A hollow ball of radius 5 cm, made of very thin glass, is rubbed all over with a silk cloth and acquires a negative charge of -9.5e-08 C which is uniformly distributed all over its surface. Location A, shown in the diagram, is inside the sphere, 1 cm from the surface. Location B, shown in the diagram, is outside the sphere, 2 cm from the surface. There are no other charged objects nearby.
Which of the following statements about Eball, the magnitude of the electric field due to the ball, are correct? Select all that apply.

1. At location A Eball is 0 N/C.
2. At location B Eball is 2.14 x10^6 N/C.
3.A hydrogen atom at location A would polarize because it is close to the negative charges on the surface of the sphere.
4.All of the charges on the surface of the sphere contribute to Eball at location A.

Homework Equations

(1/4*pi*epsilon)*Q/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So i checked at point B that the it is ~2.14 x10^6 N/C. I thought that inside the sphere the electric field is 0, but its an insulator so that means its not. And I am guessing that all of the charges contribute to Eball at location A?

is that looking correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ill go through my thoughts again for each answer:

1. I do not believe that at point A the E of the ball is 0. (Location A is inside the sphere) This is because in an insulator even though the charge on the outside is uniformly distributed, the A is not in the center.

2. That is correct, the location at B is 2.14, according to the numbers given uptop

3.I believe if you placed a hydrogen atom at location A it would polarize because on an insulator there are not free ions to move around so the electron cloud on the atom would move, polarizing it.

4. Yes I do believe that all of the charges on the surface of the sphere act on the location A inside the sphere. And this is why it is cause to not have a field of 0

so, No, Yes, Yes, no, does anyone know if I'm correct, or at least on the right track?

bumpinnnn

somebody love me please?

I would like to clarify and expand on the statements and equations mentioned in the homework.

Firstly, the electric field (E) at a point is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at that point. It is represented by the symbol E and is measured in Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). In this case, the electric field is due to the negative charge (-9.5e-08 C) on the surface of the hollow ball.

At location A, which is inside the sphere, the electric field is not zero. This is because the electric field at a point inside a charged hollow sphere is dependent on the distance from the center of the sphere, not the distance from the surface. Therefore, the electric field at location A would be non-zero and would depend on the distance from the center of the sphere.

At location B, which is outside the sphere, the electric field can be calculated using the equation mentioned in the homework. Plugging in the values, we get an electric field of approximately 2.14 x 10^6 N/C. This is because the electric field at a point outside a charged hollow sphere is inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the sphere.

The statement about a hydrogen atom at location A polarizing is correct. This is because the negative charges on the surface of the sphere would repel the electrons in the hydrogen atom, causing a separation of charge and resulting in a polarized atom.

Lastly, it is important to note that all the charges on the surface of the sphere do contribute to the electric field at location A. This is because the electric field at a point inside a charged hollow sphere is dependent on the total charge of the sphere, not just the charge on a specific point or location.

In conclusion, the correct statements about the electric field (Eball) at location A and B are:

1. At location A, Eball is not zero and is dependent on the distance from the center of the sphere.
2. At location B, Eball is 2.14 x10^6 N/C.
3. A hydrogen atom at location A would polarize because it is close to the negative charges on the surface of the sphere.
4. All of the charges on the surface of the sphere contribute to Eball at location A.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that an electric charge has on other charges in its vicinity. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is created by the interaction of charged particles.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created when a positive or negative charge is placed in space. The charge creates an electric field that extends outwards in all directions, with the strength of the field decreasing as you move further away from the charge.

3. What is a hallow ball?

A hallow ball is a spherical object that has a hollow or empty interior. In the context of electric fields, a hallow ball can refer to a conducting sphere with a cavity inside, or a sphere with a uniform charge distribution on its surface.

4. How does the electric field inside a hallow ball differ from the electric field outside?

Inside a hallow ball with a uniform charge distribution on its surface, the electric field is zero. This is because the electric field created by the charge on the surface cancels out at all points inside the ball. Outside the hallow ball, the electric field is similar to that of a point charge, with the strength of the field decreasing as you move further away from the surface of the ball.

5. What is the relationship between the electric field and the potential inside a hallow ball?

Inside a hallow ball with a uniform charge distribution, the electric potential is constant. This means that the electric field is perpendicular to the surface of the ball, and the potential decreases uniformly from the surface to the center of the ball. Outside the hallow ball, the electric potential is similar to that of a point charge, with the potential decreasing as you move further away from the surface of the ball.