Electric fields between point charges

In summary, there is a discussion about the convention of referencing the angle from the positive x-axis instead of the y-axis. It is pointed out that the solution should state "angle from the line AP" instead of "to the line AP".
AliTheAlienTV
Member warned that we strongly discourage images of the problem statement and work done.
Homework Statement
Question 2c: I've attempted the question, I've got the magnitude right but I got the angle wrong. I don't understand why the value of the components are swapped around.
Relevant Equations
Electric fields
Screenshot_2023-03-27-12-52-14-096_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
Screenshot_2023-03-16-15-07-14-513-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I’m guessing it’s just convention to reference the angle from the positive x-axis instead of the y-axis.

To nitpick your solution should say “angle from the line AP” not “to the line AP”

PhDeezNutz said:
I’m guessing it’s just convention to reference the angle from the positive x-axis instead of the y-axis.

To nitpick your solution should say “angle from the line AP” not “to the line AP”
PhDeezNutz said:

Attachments

• 16799522405956579565208424762276.jpg
    16799522405956579565208424762276.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 50
PhDeezNutz said:

PhDeezNutz said:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. This force is caused by the interaction between the charged particle and the electric field created by other charged particles.

2. How are electric fields created between point charges?

Electric fields between point charges are created by the presence of two or more charged particles. The electric field is a vector quantity that points in the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience when placed in the field.

3. What is the equation for calculating the electric field between two point charges?

The equation for calculating the electric field between two point charges is given by E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance between the two charges.

4. How does the distance between point charges affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two point charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the electric field becomes weaker and vice versa.

5. Are electric fields between point charges affected by the presence of other charges?

Yes, the electric fields between point charges are affected by the presence of other charges. The electric field at a point is the vector sum of the electric fields created by all the charges present in the vicinity of that point.