Electric Flux through a wall

In summary, a vertical wall in a house with dimensions of 5.9m x 2.5m faces due east and is subjected to a uniform electric field with a magnitude of 150 N/C. This field is parallel to the ground and points 35 degrees north of east. The electric flux through the wall can be found using the equation Ecosθ, and the answer will be radially outward. The direction of the electric field indicates a net flow of flux east through the surface, making the flux positive and resulting in either answer choice A or B.
krv77
1. The problem is:

A vertical wall (5.9m x2.5m) in a house faces due east. A uniform electric field has a magnitude of 150 N/C. This field is parallel to the ground and points 35degrees north of east. What is the electric flux through the wall?

2. Homework Equations :

Electric flux is found by using E cos of angle between electric field and normal.
E= f/q

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I tried it this way and don't think it is right.

E= 150 N/C
_______
(5.9 x 2.5m) x cos 35 degrees

I think the answer will be radially outward as oposed to inward, but I am not too sure.

The answer choices we were given are

A. 7.9 x 10*5 radially outward
B. 3.2 x 10*5 radially outward
C.1.4 x 10*6 ...inward
D. 5.9 x 10*5...inward
E. zero

I don't see how it would be zero, and I think I have narrowed it down to either A or B.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the wall has infinite length and a finite thickness. There is a a flux going into the wall from the left equal to:

[tex]\Phi_e=EA\cos\theta[/tex]

If this is the case, what does this tell you about the net flux?

Last edited:
krv77 said:
1. The problem is:

A vertical wall (5.9m x2.5m) in a house faces due east. A uniform electric field has a magnitude of 150 N/C. This field is parallel to the ground and points 35degrees north of east. What is the electric flux through the wall?

2. Homework Equations :

Electric flux is found by using E cos of angle between electric field and normal.
E= f/q

You are confusing things, here. In this equation, E is the magnitude of the electric field an d f is the magnitude of the force experienced by a charge q. This equation has nothing to do with flux.

Use the equation provided by GO1. As for the direction, the electric field is pointing north of east so if you picture the E field vectors as representing a flow, you will see that there is a net flow east theorugh the surface (so the flux is positive if you take the area vector of the wall to be pointing east). That should give you the answer.

What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the area of the surface that the field passes through at a right angle. It can also be calculated by integrating the electric field over the surface area.

What is the significance of electric flux through a wall?

The electric flux through a wall is a measure of the electric field passing through the wall. It can help us understand the strength and direction of the electric field and how it is affected by the wall.

How does the material of the wall affect electric flux?

The material of the wall can affect electric flux by altering the electric field passing through it. Materials with higher conductivity, such as metals, may allow for more electric flux to pass through compared to insulating materials.

Can electric flux through a wall be negative?

Yes, electric flux can be negative if the electric field passing through the wall is in the opposite direction of the normal vector of the surface. This indicates a decrease in electric field strength through the wall.