1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential/Electric Potential Energy question

1. Feb 17, 2005 #1
    We just started this stuff in my AP Physics class and I'm not catching on to it too quickly... At least problem solving-wise. I thought I had all the concepts down, but maybe not.

Here's a question I'm having problems with:

How do I go about this one? I'm sure it's a pretty simple problem because it's at the beginning of the chapter, but I guess I'm missing a connection or something.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

well, voltage is potential energy per charge, and the charge on a single electron is -1.6*10^-19 couloumbs.
  4. Feb 17, 2005 #3
    I see, so what I did was:

So 4.68 X 10^11 electrons was very close to the correct answer. Did I do this right?
  5. Feb 18, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

Your work is a little sketchy. First of all, Joules/charge does not have units of "electrons", and I don't know what a negative number of electrons means. I get the idea of what you're doing, but you should be a lot more careful with units. Then, you seem to have forgotten the power of ten on the voltage.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?