Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Potential/Electric Potential Energy question

1. Feb 17, 2005 #1
    We just started this stuff in my AP Physics class and I'm not catching on to it too quickly... At least problem solving-wise. I thought I had all the concepts down, but maybe not.

Here's a question I'm having problems with:

How do I go about this one? I'm sure it's a pretty simple problem because it's at the beginning of the chapter, but I guess I'm missing a connection or something.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2005 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

well, voltage is potential energy per charge, and the charge on a single electron is -1.6*10^-19 couloumbs.

4. Feb 17, 2005 #3
    I see, so what I did was:

So 4.68 X 10^11 electrons was very close to the correct answer. Did I do this right?

5. Feb 18, 2005 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

Your work is a little sketchy. First of all, Joules/charge does not have units of "electrons", and I don't know what a negative number of electrons means. I get the idea of what you're doing, but you should be a lot more careful with units. Then, you seem to have forgotten the power of ten on the voltage.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook