Electric Potential From Rod

In summary, we are asked to find the electric potential at a distance z away from the center of a thin uniformly charged rod of length L. Using the formula V=k(Q/r), where r is the distance from the charge and Q is the charge, we can determine the potential due to one point charge. By taking the limit and using integration, we can find the total potential, which is equal to kλ ln((2√(L^2/4+z^2)+L)/(2√(L^2/4+z^2)-L)).
Screwdriver

Homework Statement

Find an expression for the electric potential a distance z away from the center of a thin uniformly charged rod of length L on a line that bisects the rod.

Homework Equations

[tex]V=k\frac{Q}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Determine the electric potential due to one point charge i.

[tex]V_i=k\frac{\Delta Q}{r}[/tex]

[tex]r=\sqrt{y^2+z^2}[/tex]

Where y is some distance along the rod to i and z is the distance along the axis to the point away.

[tex]\Delta Q=\lambda \Delta y[/tex]

Then,

[tex]V_i=k\lambda \frac{\Delta y}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}}[/tex]

Then,

[tex]V_{tot}=k\lambda \sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{\Delta y}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}}[/tex]

Now take the limit as n goes to infinity and delta y goes to zero.

[tex]V_{tot}=k\lambda \int_{\frac{-L}{2}}^{\frac{L}{2}}\frac{d y}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}}[/tex]

[tex]V_{tot}=k\lambda \; ln({\frac{2\sqrt{{\frac{L^2}{4}}+z^2}+L}{2\sqrt{{\frac{L^2}{4}}+z^2}-L}})[/tex]

Is this correct? I feel like the integration was too hard for this simple problem (I had to substitute y = ztan(x)).

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks correct to me. :approve: [strike](Of course you could simplify it slightly by at least getting rid of the '2's)[/strike]

[Edit: Never-mind about the 2's'. They're fine the way they are. Sorry about that.]

Last edited:
It looks correct to me.

Really? Well thank you!

Never-mind about the 2's'. They're fine the way they are. Sorry about that.

Okay :tongue:

1. What is "Electric Potential From Rod"?

"Electric Potential From Rod" refers to the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a particular point in space near a charged rod.

2. How is electric potential from a rod calculated?

The electric potential from a rod can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the rod, and r is the distance from the rod to the point where the potential is being measured.

3. What factors affect the electric potential from a rod?

The electric potential from a rod is affected by the charge of the rod, the distance from the rod, and the medium in which the rod is placed.

4. How does the electric potential from a rod change with distance?

The electric potential from a rod follows an inverse relationship with distance, meaning that as the distance from the rod increases, the electric potential decreases.

5. What is the unit of measurement for electric potential from a rod?

The unit of measurement for electric potential is the volt (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).