Electric Potential Produced by Point Charge

In summary, a point charge of -8 µC is located at the origin and the electric potential is calculated for three different points: (3.0m, 0), (-3.0m, 0), and (3.0m, -3.0m). Using the equation V=kq/r, the potential at points a and b is found to be -23973.3. However, for point c, the correct value is not obtained because the distance r is incorrectly assumed to be 6. After understanding the cartesian coordinate system, it is realized that r should be √(3^2+(-3)^2) = 3√2, resulting in the correct answer for point c.
deenuh20

Homework Statement

A point charge of -8 µC is at the origin. What is the electric potential at
(a) (3.0m, 0),
(b) (-3.0m, 0), and
(c) (3.0m, -3.0m)?

Homework Equations

V=kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

a & b) V=(8.99x10^9)(-8x10^-6)/3
V= -23973.3

c) V=(8.99x10^9(-8x10^-6)/6

I understand part a and b and got the correct answer. However, for part c, the only thing I am doing different is r=6 instead of 3 because the coordinates are (3.0m, -3.0m) and I am not getting the correct answer. I don't really understand. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
r does not equal 6. Think about the coordinate system.

I thought r=6 because there is 3 in the + x direction and 3 in the -x direction on either side of the origin (x=0) so I added them to get a total of 6 from -x to +x. I'm not really sure how to look at the coordinate system any other way?

The two numbers denote the x and y coordinates in a cartesian plane. How can you have a position with two x coordinates? Draw the x an y axes and work out what r should be for the (3, -3) point.

ohhhh wow I'm so blind. Thank you very much for your help!

1. What is electric potential produced by a point charge?

Electric potential produced by a point charge is the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space. It is a scalar quantity that describes the strength of the electric field at that point.

2. How is electric potential produced by a point charge calculated?

The electric potential produced by a point charge is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance between the point charge and the point where the electric potential is being calculated.

3. What is the unit of electric potential produced by a point charge?

The unit of electric potential produced by a point charge is volt (V). It is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

4. How does the electric potential produced by a point charge affect the movement of charged particles?

The electric potential produced by a point charge causes charged particles to experience a force and move either towards or away from the point charge, depending on the sign of the charge of the particle. The direction of the electric force is always perpendicular to the electric field lines.

5. Can the electric potential produced by a point charge be negative?

Yes, the electric potential produced by a point charge can be negative. This means that the point charge is surrounded by a region of negative electric potential energy, and charged particles will be attracted towards it. A negative electric potential can also be thought of as a drop in electric potential energy.