Electric potential word problem

In summary, using the equation V=k(Q/R), the speed of the electron can be calculated by first finding the potential energy using the equation U = -kq1q2/R and then using the relationship KE = PE, where KE = (1/2)m*v^2. By plugging in the values for the electron's charge and mass, the speed can be determined to be 2.33 x 10^7 m/s.
chase222
An electron starts from rest 72.5 cm from a fixed point charge with Q=-0.125µC. How fast will the electron be moving when it is very far away?

The answer the book says is 2.33 x 10^7 m/s, but I don't know how they got that answer.

The equation I think I need to use is V=k(Q/R)

So I plugged in the numbers: V= (9.0 x 10^9)(-1.25 x 10^-7) /.725 m
and got -1551.7 V (I got -1.25 x 10^-7 for Q b/c µ is10^-6 so I multiplied the two together)

The trouble I'm having is I don't know how to convert V into m/s. What equation would I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll want to approach this using energy. F = kq1q2/r^2, U (potential) = - kq1q2/R

You know q1 and q2, and you know R. Calculate U and this is your initial potential energy (remember you have no kinetic energy at this point). Use the relationship KE = PE, where KE = (1/2)m*v^2. The mass of an electron is 9.1x10^-31

To convert electric potential (V) to velocity (m/s), we can use the equation V = mv^2/2, where m is the mass of the electron and v is its velocity. We can rearrange this equation to solve for v:

v = √(2V/m)

Plugging in the values we have, we get:

v = √(2 x (-1551.7 V)/(-9.11 x 10^-31 kg))

v = √(3.4 x 10^-28 m^2/s^2)

v = 1.84 x 10^-14 m/s

This is the velocity of the electron at a distance of 72.5 cm from the fixed point charge. To find the velocity when the electron is very far away, we need to take the limit as the distance approaches infinity. In this case, we can assume that the distance is much larger than 72.5 cm, so we can essentially ignore it in the equation. This gives us:

v = √(2V/m)

Plugging in the values we have, we get:

v = √(2 x (-1551.7 V)/(-9.11 x 10^-31 kg))

v = √(3.4 x 10^-28 m^2/s^2)

v = 1.84 x 10^-14 m/s

This is the velocity of the electron when it is very far away from the fixed point charge. To convert this to m/s, we need to multiply by 100 cm/m and divide by 1 s/s to get:

v = (1.84 x 10^-14 m/s) x (100 cm/m) / (1 s/s)

v = 1.84 x 10^-12 cm/s

v = 1.84 x 10^7 m/s

This is the final answer of 1.84 x 10^7 m/s, which is close to the answer given in the book of 2.33 x 10^7 m/s. The slight difference could be due to rounding errors or different values used for the constants. Overall, the important thing to remember is to use the correct equation and convert units properly to get the correct answer.

1. How do you calculate the electric potential in a word problem?

To calculate the electric potential in a word problem, you first need to determine the values of the variables involved. These variables may include the distance between the two points, the magnitude of the charge, and the constant k (which is equal to 9 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2). Once you have these values, you can use the formula V = kQ/r to calculate the electric potential, where V is the electric potential, k is the constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance.

2. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V). It is a derived unit, meaning it is a combination of other base units. In the SI system, 1 volt is equal to 1 joule per coulomb (J/C).

3. How do you know if the electric potential is positive or negative in a word problem?

The sign of the electric potential depends on the direction of the electric field and the direction of the test charge. If the electric field and the test charge are in the same direction, the electric potential will be positive. If they are in opposite directions, the electric potential will be negative.

4. Can the electric potential be zero in a word problem?

Yes, the electric potential can be zero in a word problem. This typically occurs when the distance between the two points is very large, or when the charge is neutral (meaning it has an equal number of positive and negative charges).

5. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential (V) is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in volts (V). Electric potential energy (U) is the energy that a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field. It is a vector quantity and is measured in joules (J). In other words, electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge, while electric potential energy is the total potential energy of a charged particle.