Electric Potential & Energy: Significance & Difference

In summary, the significance of the sign of the electric potential between two charges determines the direction and amount of energy required to move the charges from one distance to another. When charges have different signs, the potential is negative and represents the energy needed to separate them, while charges with the same sign have a positive potential and require energy to be brought closer together. Electric potential and electric potential energy are related but distinct concepts, with potential being the electric field at a given point and potential energy being the energy of a charge at a specific point in the field. Understanding the difference between potential and potential energy can be aided by considering units, circuits, and the arbitrary nature of defining a reference point for potential. Additional resources such as videos can also be helpful in
Jalo

Homework Statement

Can anyone tell me the significance of the sign of the electric potential between two charges?
For example, If I have two charges of different sign the electric potential between them will be negative, and it will represent the energy necessary to separate them between the initial distance, d, until d→∞.
What if both charges are positive? The electric potential will be positive. What does it represent? The energy required to move them from distance d until d→0 ? The energy that the particles would acquire as d→∞ ?

Also, what's the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy? I know that electric potential only requires a source charge, while electric potential energy describes the electric potential of a charge at some given point, but I can't quite understand the concept of both.

I'm sorry if those doubts are a little idiot, but I'm trying to learn electromagnetism on my own and the book I'm reading didn't cover those concepts very well, and I feel like I should understand all this basic stuff to be able to fully understand magnetism. Thanks for your time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the units of both electric potential and electric potential energy. That might help. And then ask yourself how you would describe the difference. And then think about circuits and why we use Electric potential difference so often. Why ohms law involves electric pot. difference...
Also look at why defining an electric potential can be an arbitrary thing to make a problem easier for you.

If you look at two places in an electric field and one is labeled 0 V and one is labeled +4V. Then, You look at two places in space in a different electric field and one is labeled -2V and one is labeled +2V. But they really have the same potential difference...? And why even label one positive and negative...?

And why gravitational potential energy, when dealing with planets goes from some negative number at the surface and then approaches zero. Yet in doing conservation of energy problems on the surface of the Earth for example, an object can be given a quantity you can call mgh and yet you can make h a reference point that you decide to help you solve a problem(ie you can play with h). Once I understood the basic answers to all these, I understood the difference between electric potential, electric potential difference, electric potential energy much better.

When I learned this I found this video helpful.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7402356853085875933

I also enjoyed the way Prof. Lewin draws his dashed chalk lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy that a charged particle has at a specific point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts.

2. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

While electric potential is a measure of the potential energy that a charged particle has at a specific point in an electric field, electric potential energy is the actual energy that the particle possesses due to its position in the field. Electric potential is a property of the field, while electric potential energy is a property of the particle.

3. What is the significance of electric potential and energy?

Electric potential and energy are significant in understanding and predicting the behavior of charged particles in an electric field. They help us calculate the force that a charged particle experiences in an electric field, as well as the direction in which it will move.

4. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential is directly related to electric field. The electric field is the gradient of the electric potential, meaning that it is the rate of change of electric potential with respect to distance. In other words, the electric field tells us how the electric potential changes as we move from one point to another in the field.

5. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This occurs when a charged particle experiences a decrease in potential energy as it moves from a point of higher potential to a point of lower potential. In this case, the electric field is acting in the opposite direction of the particle's motion.