Is the Unknown Circuit Component a Resistor or a Voltage Source?

In summary, the conversation revolved around determining the nature and value of a mystery component in a circuit. Through the use of KVL and KCL, the currents were calculated and it was determined that the mystery component was a -10V source rather than a resistor. The conversation also confirmed that the calculated currents were correct and that the mystery component could be disproven as a resistor.
jendrix

Homework Statement

The circuit has an unknown component that is a resistor or a voltage source, find which one it is and it's value.

Homework Equations

V=IR, KVL, KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

I first used KVL on the outer loop:

14-2I1-10=0

I1=2A

Then on the inner left loop

14-4V-10I2=0

I2=1A

Then KCL to find current through 20ohm resistor of 1A

Inner loop on right hand side

10I2-1x20-?+0

? =-10V

Answer:

Due to the direction of the current the -10v couldn't be from a resistor as it would result in a positive 10v over the resistor.Instead it must be a -10v source.

Does this look correct? If this was a -10v source wouldn't that disprove all the currents I found?

Thanks

2h305f5.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your analysis looks fine. The currents would be fine, too, when the mystery component is a -10V source.

Thank you, so if I understand this correctly, because we knew the 10v across the mystery component and 20ohm resistor this allowed the correct currents to be calculated.Once we knew these currents we could disprove the mystery element being a resistor?

jendrix said:
Thank you, so if I understand this correctly, because we knew the 10v across the mystery component and 20ohm resistor this allowed the correct currents to be calculated.Once we knew these currents we could disprove the mystery element being a resistor?

Yes, that is so.

Thank you

1. What is an electrical circuit problem?

An electrical circuit problem is a malfunction or issue in an electrical circuit that prevents it from functioning properly. This can be caused by various factors such as faulty components, improper wiring, or external factors like power surges.

2. How do I troubleshoot an electrical circuit problem?

To troubleshoot an electrical circuit problem, start by checking the power source and ensuring it is functioning correctly. Then, check all components and connections for any signs of damage or loose connections. Use a multimeter to test for continuity and voltage in the circuit. If the issue persists, seek the help of a professional electrician.

3. What are the common causes of electrical circuit problems?

The most common causes of electrical circuit problems include faulty components, improper wiring, overloaded circuits, power surges, and damaged equipment. Other factors such as environmental conditions and aging of components can also contribute to circuit problems.

4. How can I prevent electrical circuit problems?

To prevent electrical circuit problems, make sure to use high-quality components and follow proper wiring techniques. Avoid overloading circuits and use surge protectors to protect against power surges. Regularly inspect and maintain your electrical system to identify and fix any potential issues before they become major problems.

5. Can I fix an electrical circuit problem myself?

It is not recommended to fix an electrical circuit problem yourself unless you have proper knowledge and experience in electrical systems. Attempting to fix an electrical circuit without the necessary expertise can be dangerous and may cause further damage. It is always best to seek the help of a professional electrician for any electrical issues.