Determining Initial Speed of Electron in Head-On Collision

In summary, when two electrons are fired head-on at each other, the closest approach is 4e-14 m. The electron with twice the speed starts with that speed.
Matt1234

Homework Statement

two electrons separated by a large distance are fired directly at each other. The closest approach in this head on collision is 4e-14 m. One electron starts with twice the speed of the other. Assuming there is no deflection from the original path, determine the initial speed of the electron.

Homework Equations

Ee = (k q1 q2) / r

ek = 0.5 m v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

see here:

http://img32.imageshack.us/i/attempt9.jpg/

Answer from book is:
5.3e7 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
bump please, I am sorry i have a test tom. I am taking in a lot of info today.

I see a problem with your solution:

When the electrons are at their closest approach, their speeds (and hence KE) are not zero. However, you can use conservation of momentum to get their speed at that point.

ok in that case what is a better way to go about it?

i don't think he wanted us to use momentum.

the only other euation i got with velocity is:
q/m = v / (B *r)

q= charge (got that)
m = mass (got that)

v = velocity, what I am looking for

b = (dont have that and can't determine without a current)

and r i do have

Ill ask him in the morn before the test, and will post back his soln.

Last edited:
Redbelly98 said:
I see a problem with your solution:

When the electrons are at their closest approach, their speeds (and hence KE) are not zero. However, you can use conservation of momentum to get their speed at that point.

Oh wow, I didn't see that RB. Thanks. If their initial velocities were equal, that would be different. But the unequal initial velocities...

Matt1234 said:
ok in that case what is a better way to go about it?

You can go about it the same way you did, using conservation of energy.

The difference is, you need to account for the kinetic energy when they are at their closest approach ... you seemed to assume it was zero, but it isn't.

An alternative approach is to transform to a frame of reference in which the initial speeds are equal, and solve the problem in that reference frame -- still using conservation of energy. Finally, transform back to the lab frame to find the velocities.

1. What is electrical energy?

Electrical energy is the energy that comes from the movement of electric charges. It is the energy that powers our modern world, from lighting our homes and powering our devices to running our factories and transportation systems.

2. How is electrical energy produced?

Electrical energy is produced through the conversion of other forms of energy, such as chemical, mechanical, or nuclear energy. This conversion is typically achieved through the use of generators, which use the principle of electromagnetic induction to generate electricity.

3. What are the sources of electrical energy?

The primary sources of electrical energy are fossil fuels, nuclear power, and renewable sources such as solar, wind, and hydroelectric power. Fossil fuels, such as coal, oil, and natural gas, are currently the most common sources of electrical energy, but there is a growing shift towards renewable sources due to their sustainability and environmental benefits.

4. How is electrical energy measured?

Electrical energy is typically measured in units of joules (J) or watt-hours (Wh). One watt-hour is equal to one watt of power being used for one hour. In practical applications, electrical energy is often measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh) or megawatt-hours (MWh).

5. What are the benefits and drawbacks of electrical energy?

The benefits of electrical energy include its versatility, efficiency, and relatively low cost compared to other forms of energy. However, the production of electrical energy can have negative environmental impacts, particularly when using fossil fuels, and there are concerns about the sustainability of our current energy consumption patterns. Additionally, electrical energy can be dangerous if not properly managed, as it can cause fires and electrocution.