Determining angular frequency in an electric field using velocity.

In summary: I don't believe that's correct. The plates are not point charges, they are charged plates with dimensions. The assumption we made was that the electric field between the plates is uniform.
Fleur_weasley
Member warned about not using the formatting template for homwework questions
1. There are 2 negatively charged plates opposite each other. In between them, there is a vacuum tube (50 cm long), containing only 1 electron. Assume it is completely isolated.
The charge value for the plates is equivalent to 10000 electrons.
Initially the single electron is directly in the center, after the initial displacement by an external electric field the electron is displaced 10 cm.
r1=0.15 r2=0.25 r3=0.35
k=9.0*10^9
q1 as well as q2 = - (1.6*10^-19)
n = 10001 (electrons in 1 plate + electron in the vacuum)

2. Q1: How much kinetic energy can the electron have at a max speed? What is this speed?
Ee1 + Ek1 = Ee2 + Ek2
(A1- already solved, Vmax = 5.3*10^3; EK = 1.278*10^-23)

Q2: Determine w (angular frequency)

Q3: Determine the period T

3. How do we determine w using the velocity we calculated? We know Vmax=A root of (k/m) but then we realized that w^2 doesn't = k/m because this isn't simply SHM. We searched up and down but we can't figure out what equations we're supposed to use or how to solve this at all.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fleur_weasley said:
1. There are 2 negatively charged plates opposite each other. In between them, there is a vacuum tube (50 cm long), containing only 1 electron. Assume it is completely isolated.
The charge value for the plates is equivalent to 10000 electrons.
Initially the single electron is directly in the center, after the initial displacement by an external electric field the electron is displaced 10 cm.
r1=0.15 r2=0.25 r3=0.35
k=9.0*10^9
q1 as well as q2 = - (1.6*10^-19)
n = 10001 (electrons in 1 plate + electron in the vacuum)

2. Q1: How much kinetic energy can the electron have at a max speed? What is this speed?
Ee1 + Ek1 = Ee2 + Ek2
(A1- already solved, Vmax = 5.3*10^3; EK = 1.278*10^-23)

Q2: Determine w (angular frequency)

Q3: Determine the period T

3. How do we determine w using the velocity we calculated? We know Vmax=A root of (k/m) but then we realized that w^2 doesn't = k/m because this isn't simply SHM. We searched up and down but we can't figure out what equations we're supposed to use or how to solve this at all.

Thank you.
Is there more information about the plates? For example, are their dimensions given? Presumably we will need to be able to find the electric field at points between the plates, but without the dimensions of the plates we can't determine the charge density and hence their fields.

gneill said:
Is there more information about the plates? For example, are their dimensions given? Presumably we will need to be able to find the electric field at points between the plates, but without the dimensions of the plates we can't determine the charge density and hence their fields.

There is no further information about the plates. This is all the information we were given.

Fleur_weasley said:
There is no further information about the plates. This is all the information we were given.
How then did you go about determining the KE and maximum velocity of the electron?

using the following: Ee1 +EK1 = Ee2 + EK2
Ee = (n*k*q1*q2)/r EK = (mv^2)/2
however, at EK1, the velocity is 0 because the electron is at the turning point and therefore has no velocity so the equation ends up looking like this:
Ee1 + 0 = Ee2 + EK2

We were given, n (10000 electron equivalent on plates + 1 electron in the vacuum) k = 9.0*10^9, both q charges are negative so
(- (1.6*10^-19))*(- (1.6*10^-19)) and then you have all that over r. the r for Ee1 needs to be the sum of Ee1 when r =0.15 and r= 0.35 (since that is at the same point (when it is 0.15m from one plate, it's 0.35m from the other plate))
For the r of Ee2, we used the r at the center of the tube, that is when the electron is at max velocity. Since the tube was 50cm, the center is at 0.25m and that WAS it's initial position.
We then plugged all that into the equation Ee1 +0 = Ee2 + EK2 and solved for velocity. At the same time, we were able to get Ek2 which is the kinetic energy at max velocity.

gneill said:
How then did you go about determining the KE and maximum velocity of the electron?

using the following: Ee1 +EK1 = Ee2 + EK2
Ee = (n*k*q1*q2)/r EK = (mv^2)/2
however, at EK1, the velocity is 0 because the electron is at the turning point and therefore has no velocity so the equation ends up looking like this:
Ee1 + 0 = Ee2 + EK2

We were given, n (10000 electron equivalent on plates + 1 electron in the vacuum) k = 9.0*10^9, both q charges are negative so
(- (1.6*10^-19))*(- (1.6*10^-19)) and then you have all that over r. the r for Ee1 needs to be the sum of Ee1 when r =0.15 and r= 0.35 (since that is at the same point (when it is 0.15m from one plate, it's 0.35m from the other plate))
For the r of Ee2, we used the r at the center of the tube, that is when the electron is at max velocity. Since the tube was 50cm, the center is at 0.25m and that WAS it's initial position.
We then plugged all that into the equation Ee1 +0 = Ee2 + EK2 and solved for velocity. At the same time, we were able to get Ek2 which is the kinetic energy at max velocity.

Okay, so you made the assumption that for the electron in the tube, the plates "look like" point charges of 10,000 e- . Given that, I'm seeing a slightly lower maximum velocity than you.

What numerical values did you get for the electric PE at the initial displacement and at the center?

I'm not sure how you'll go after the period and angular frequency. The potential function is not trivial so the resulting differential equation of the motion might be tricky to solve.

gneill said:
Okay, so you made the assumption that for the electron in the tube, the plates "look like" point charges of 10,000 e- . Given that, I'm seeing a slightly lower maximum velocity than you.

What numerical values did you get for the electric PE at the initial displacement and at the center?

I'm not sure how you'll go after the period and angular frequency. The potential function is not trivial so the resulting differential equation of the motion might be tricky to solve.

for Ee1 (sum of Ee when r =0.15 and r= 0.35, initial displacement ) we got 2.2*10^-23 and for Ee2 (using r=0.25, the center) we got 9.22*10^-24

Fleur_weasley said:
for Ee1 (sum of Ee when r =0.15 and r= 0.35, initial displacement ) we got 2.2*10^-23 and for Ee2 (using r=0.25, the center) we got 9.22*10^-24
I'm seeing a different (larger) value for the PE at the center. It looks like you've only accounted for the effect of one plate.

gneill said:
I'm seeing a different (larger) value for the PE at the center. It looks like you've only accounted for the effect of one plate.

Oh! that's right, oops. In that case, our Ee2 is (9.22*10^-24)*2 = 1.84*10^-23 (since it's 0.25m in relation to each of the two plates). Our velocity is then 2.8*10^3. Thank you so much.
There's still the issue of solving for the angular frequency (w) though.

Fleur_weasley said:
Oh! that's right, oops. In that case, our Ee2 is (9.22*10^-24)*2 = 1.84*10^-23 (since it's 0.25m in relation to each of the two plates). Our velocity is then 2.8*10^3. Thank you so much.
You're very welcome.
There's still the issue of solving for the angular frequency (w) though.
Yeah, I'm not sure the best way to go about that. As I mentioned, the differential equation is bound to be tricky due to the form of the PE function. It has the form 1/(1 - z2).

I suppose it could be solved by numerical approximation (numerical integration of the differential equation), but that's probably not the approach you're expected to use. What's the topic of the unit this comes from in your course or text?

The whole unit is called energy and momentum. We were doing simple harmonic motion, pendulums, springs, and static electricity as well as energy transformations.

Fleur_weasley said:
The whole unit is called energy and momentum. We were doing simple harmonic motion, pendulums, springs, and static electricity as well as energy transformations.
Okay, so this problem in this form looks to be a bit beyond that, unless I'm missing something obvious.

Perhaps you might manage an approximation with a quadratic fit to the PE function around the center. That would make the PE function look like that of a spring. I'm not sure how accurate the approximation would be without doing some investigation; maybe a Taylor series expansion to look at the first few terms...

Sorry I can't think of a path forward at the course's level. I'll have to give it some more thought.

gneill said:
Okay, so this problem in this form looks to be a bit beyond that, unless I'm missing something obvious.

Perhaps you might manage an approximation with a quadratic fit to the PE function around the center. That would make the PE function look like that of a spring. I'm not sure how accurate the approximation would be without doing some investigation; maybe a Taylor series expansion to look at the first few terms...

Sorry I can't think of a path forward at the course's level. I'll have to give it some more thought.

Knowing our teacher, it's entirely possible that this is beyond curriculum standards. We're going to try using the equations F/m = a = -w^2x and
F = -(nkq1q2)/r^2 to solve for magnitude of w. Can we do that?

Fleur_weasley said:
Knowing our teacher, it's entirely possible that this is beyond curriculum standards. We're going to try using the equations F/m = a = -w^2x and
F = -(nkq1q2)/r^2 to solve for magnitude of w. Can we do that?
That would be a crude approximation, but it might be what is intended. I hesitate to just say yes.

Okay, then I guess that's what we'll be going with. Thank you so much for all your help, we appreciate it very much!
have a good one.

1. What is angular frequency in an electric field?

Angular frequency in an electric field is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or oscillating in response to the electric field. It is represented by the Greek letter omega (ω) and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular frequency related to velocity in an electric field?

Angular frequency is directly proportional to velocity in an electric field. This means that as the angular frequency increases, so does the velocity of the object. The specific relationship between angular frequency and velocity depends on the specific electric field and the properties of the object.

3. What is the formula for determining angular frequency in an electric field using velocity?

The formula for determining angular frequency in an electric field using velocity is ω = v/r, where ω is the angular frequency, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the object.

4. How is angular frequency measured in an electric field?

Angular frequency in an electric field can be measured using various devices such as a tachometer or an accelerometer. These devices measure the rotational speed or acceleration of the object, which can then be used to calculate the angular frequency.

5. What factors can affect the angular frequency in an electric field?

The angular frequency in an electric field can be affected by various factors such as the strength of the electric field, the properties of the object (such as mass and charge), and the distance between the object and the center of rotation. Changes in any of these factors can result in a change in the angular frequency.