How Many Electrons & Charge in 2 Grams of Silver?

In summary, the conversation is about a simple question regarding the number and charge of electrons in silver. It is determined that there are 2.37447 x10^20 electrons in 2 grams of silver and the total charge of these electrons is in units of C. The conversation then shifts to a problem involving glass spheres and the transfer of charge. It is determined that when a negatively charged object is brought near conducting spheres, a positive charge is induced on one surface and a negative charge on the other. When the object is removed, the positive charge remains and distributes between the two spheres, resulting in two positively charged spheres when separated. The correct order of removing the grounding wire and charging object is crucial in determining the net charge on the spheres
Spectre32
Ok i have a rather simple question at hand:

1 gram of Siliver has 5.58x10^21 atoms and each sliver atom has 47 electrons : How many electrons are in 2 grams of sliver...
This is easy enough, all i did was take 5.58x10^21 and multiply 2 and then divided that number by 47 and got: 2.37447 x10^20

Now the second part to this problem wants to know the total charge of these electrons, and the answer needs to be in units of C. This is the part that I'm schetchy on. IF anyone could provide anyinsight I'm be very greatful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Spectre32
Ok i have a rather simple question at hand:

1 gram of Siliver has 5.58x10^21 atoms and each sliver atom has 47 electrons : How many electrons are in 2 grams of sliver...
This is easy enough, all i did was take 5.58x10^21 and multiply 2 and then divided that number by 47 and got: 2.37447 x10^20
Don't divide by 47... multiply!
Now the second part to this problem wants to know the total charge of these electrons, and the answer needs to be in units of C.
Look up the charge of the electron.

God... that was easy enough... since that one was sloved so quick i got another one for you. This involves 2 glass spheres. These two spheres are touching. Then a 3rd glass sphere is brought near and is charged neg. a groud wire it attached to the 2nd spehere( both spheres are still touching) then the wire is taken away, and then the neg charged sphere is takin away. Then the spheres are seperated. It's a multple choice question with about 10 answers. Now here is what i am thinking. When the neg sharged sphere comes closew the charge is transfered. with the grounding wire comming into ply the charge is now gone. Once the wire is remoived and the neg sphere is still there the other soheres become charged negativitly. Once the neg sphere is removed they are still charged and then where they are seprated.. (this is where things become fuzzy)I want to say that they both are now negativtly charged. Any help would be awsome.

Since glass is an insulator, a grounding wire should have little effect. I say the charge of the two glass sphere will not change. If they started out with no charge, they will end up with no charge.

ok so anything that involves a "glass sphere" isn;t going ot have a charge due to it being a insulator?

ok so anything that involves a "glass sphere" isn;t going ot have a charge due to it being a insulator?
Not correct. An insulator can certainly be charged. What an insulator cannot do is conduct charge--in other words the charge is fixed, not free to move about.

Ahh i see, and i was wrong in my wording. The spheres are not made out of glass there on glass rods... so they are conducting, and I'm noe even more confused.

The spheres are not made out of glass there on glass rods... so they are conducting, and I'm noe even more confused.
This is very different! This time you'll end up with a positive charge on the two conducting spheres.

Here are the details. When the negatively charged object is put next to one of the conducting spheres, a positive charge is induced on the surface of the conductor nearest the charge. A negative charge appears on the opposite surface (on the 2nd conducting sphere). When that sphere is grounded, the negative charge escapes; but the positive charge is bound because of the field of the charging object. When the wire and the charging object are removed, the net positive charge remains (no place to go!) and distributes itself between the two conducing spheres. When you separate them, you end up with two positively charged spheres. Make sense?

yeah it makes perfect sense, but does it matter tha the groundering wire is removed and THEN the negatively charged object is removed?

yeah it makes perfect sense, but does it matter tha the groundering wire is removed and THEN the negatively charged object is removed?
Absolutely. Do it in the opposite order and you'll end up with no net charge on the conducting spheres.

Well that's how this problem is set up, the grounding wire is cut, and then the chargin sphere is removed. So then the approite answer is that both spheres are no net charged.

Well that's how this problem is set up, the grounding wire is cut, and then the chargin sphere is removed. So then the approite answer is that both spheres are no net charged.
Nope. "No charge" would be the answer for the opposite case: first remove charging sphere, THEN cut wire.

AH! I see now! YEs it's all so clear. Thanks, I have a few more questions, you seem knowledgeable do u mind if i ask them?

... I have a few more questions, you seem knowledgeable do u mind if i ask them?
Ask away. But put new questions in a new thread with a descriptive title.

1. How many electrons are in 2 grams of silver?

There are approximately 9.02 x 10^22 electrons in 2 grams of silver.

2. How is the number of electrons in silver determined?

The number of electrons in an atom is determined by the atomic number, which for silver is 47. Each atom of silver has 47 electrons. Therefore, to find the number of electrons in a given mass of silver, we use Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23) to calculate the number of atoms present and then multiply it by 47.

3. How does the charge of silver affect the number of electrons?

The charge of silver does not affect the number of electrons in an atom. The number of electrons in an atom is determined by the atomic number, which is a characteristic of the element and does not change.

4. Why is the charge of silver important to know?

The charge of silver is important to know because it helps us understand the chemical properties of silver. The charge of an atom is related to its reactivity and how it interacts with other atoms, which is important in various chemical reactions and processes.

5. Is the number of electrons in 2 grams of silver constant?

Yes, the number of electrons in 2 grams of silver is constant. The number of electrons in an atom is a fundamental property of the element and does not change unless the atom undergoes a nuclear reaction. However, the number of atoms present in 2 grams of silver may vary depending on its isotopic composition.