Electrochemistry - Half Cell Reactions

In summary, the conversation discusses a Galvanic Cell and determining its anode and cathode half reactions, complete cell reaction, and if it is a concentration cell. The anode reaction is 2OH^- -> 2H^+ + O2 + 4e^- and the cathode reaction is O2 + 4e^- + 2H^+ -> 2OH^-. It is determined that the cell is a concentration cell with a standard cell potential of 0.
AGNuke
Gold Member
A Galvanic Cell is given. Write its Anode and Cathode half reactions, complete cell reaction and thus determine if the given is concentration cell.

[itex]Pt|O_2(1\; atm)|NaO\! H(10^{-3}M)||H_2SO_4(0.5M)|O_2(1\;atm)|Pt[/itex]

I know that at anode, Oxygen will get oxidised, maybe from NaOH solution and at cathode, Oxygen will get reduced.

Here's what I think of anodic reaction
[itex]2O\!H^-\rightarrow 2H^++O_2+4e^-[/itex]

And the mighty cathodic reaction
[itex]O_2+4e^-+2H^+\rightarrow 2O\!H^-[/itex]

And thus, this cell is just a concentration cell (i.e. E°(cell) = 0)

Am... I right? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello...? Can please anyone answer the question that I am right with my guesswork? This question is eating me inside out.

Related to Electrochemistry - Half Cell Reactions

1. What is electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of chemical reactions involving electricity. It involves the transfer of electrons between two substances, known as half-cell reactions, to produce electric current or to induce chemical changes.

2. What is a half-cell reaction?

A half-cell reaction is a chemical reaction that involves the transfer of electrons between two substances. It occurs at the interface of an electrode and an electrolyte solution, and it is an essential part of any electrochemical process.

3. What is an anode and a cathode in a half-cell reaction?

The anode is the electrode where oxidation occurs, and electrons are released. It has a negative charge and is represented by the symbol (-). The cathode is the electrode where reduction occurs, and electrons are gained. It has a positive charge and is represented by the symbol (+).

4. How is a half-cell reaction written?

A half-cell reaction is written in the form of a reduction-oxidation (redox) reaction, where the reactants and products are separated by a double vertical line. The reactants are written on the left side, and the products are written on the right side. The number of electrons transferred is also indicated in the reaction.

5. What is the significance of half-cell reactions in electrochemistry?

Half-cell reactions play a crucial role in electrochemistry as they help in understanding the flow of electrons and the production of electric current. They also provide information about the chemical substances involved in a reaction and their oxidation and reduction states. Half-cell reactions are essential for the design and functioning of electrochemical cells, batteries, and other devices that utilize electricity.