How Does Electron Flow Work in a Zn-Cu Electrochemical Cell?

• Thread starter chazgurl4life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, the conversation discusses an electrochemical cell with Zn in ZnCl2(aq) and Cu in Cu(NO3)2(aq), connected by a salt bridge containing KNO3(aq). The reaction is Zn(s) + Cu2+(aq) ➔ Zn2+(aq) + Cu(s). In the solution, 2 moles of electrons are transferred from the anode (Zn) to the cathode (Cu). The left side is the anode and the electrons travel from zinc to copper. Cu2+ is being reduced to Cu(s), making copper the oxidizing agent. This is supported by the reactivity series.
chazgurl4life

Homework Statement

2. Consider an electrochemical cell as shown, with Zn in ZnCl2(aq) and Cu in Cu(NO3)2(aq), and a salt bridge containing KNO3(aq). The overall chemical reaction is
Zn(s) + Cu2+(aq)  Zn2+(aq) + Cu(s).

a. How many moles of electrons are transferred in this reaction?
b. Which side is the anode?.
c. Which direction will electrons travel?
d. Which material is being reduced?
e. What is the oxidizing agent?

Homework Equations

a for a i understand that 2 moles of electrons are transferred throught the salt brige. From anode to cathode.for b i said that the left side is the anode and c) that the electrons travel from zinc to copper
for d: o recognize that Cu 2+ is being reduced because it gains 2 electrons and becomes Cu (s). for e i think that since Cu 3+ is rduced it is the oxidizing agent..

The Attempt at a Solution

but my professor says the electrons flow from copper to zinc andthat zinc is the oxidizing agent...can anyone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the half reactions:[tex] Zn \rightarrow Zn^{2+} + 2e^{-} [/tex][tex] Cu^{2+} + 2e^{-} \rightarrow Cu [/tex]

The electrons flow from zinc to copper and copper is the oxidizing agent.

Last edited:
Google reactivity series.

thanx so i guess my prof was wrong thanx

1. What is electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the study of chemical reactions that involve the transfer of electrons between molecules. It focuses on the relationship between electric energy and chemical reactions.

2. What are redox reactions?

Redox reactions, short for reduction-oxidation reactions, are chemical reactions that involve the transfer of electrons between reactants. The reactant that loses electrons is oxidized, while the reactant that gains electrons is reduced.

3. What is an oxidation state?

An oxidation state, also known as oxidation number, is a number that represents the number of electrons an atom has gained or lost in a chemical reaction. It is used to determine the oxidation state of an element in a molecule or compound.

4. How do I balance a redox reaction?

To balance a redox reaction, you must first identify the oxidation and reduction half-reactions. Then, balance the atoms and charges in each half-reaction separately. Finally, balance the overall charge by adding electrons to one side of the reaction equation.

5. What is an electrochemical cell?

An electrochemical cell is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy through redox reactions. It consists of two electrodes, an anode and a cathode, connected by an external circuit and a salt bridge, which allows for the movement of ions between the two half-cells.