Calculating Time for Electrolysis of Water

In summary, the equation for time is written as t=(F*n*z)/I, where F is the Faraday's constant, n is the number of electrons transferring, z is the number of protons transferred, and I is the current. The time is dependent on the amount of water that is decomposed, and on the size of the electrodes.
PeetPb
greetings

I'd like you to check my calculations. The task is to calculate the time needed to produce 10 moles of hydrogen from water by electrolysis with a current of 1Amp.
I first wrote the equation of the reaction that occurs on the cathode
2H2O+2e- = H2 +2OH-
Then I derived the equation for time from Faraday's law
t=(F*n*z)/I
Since there are two electrons exchanging , z=2, I evaluated the equation and get
t= 1929.7 seconds which is .536 hours.

Is this correct ?

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Approach is OK, but somehow you are off by orders of magnitude.

Please note this should land in the homework section.

oh, right thanks , I somehow used the wrong constant ... so again when I plug the numbers along with the units I get
t=(96485.3*2*10 C mol)/(1 mol A) the moles cancel and I'm left with C/A which should be seconds. The actual number is about 536 hours ... is this right ? it seems to be a little lot to me ... I got the Faraday's constant from http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=F&a=*C.F-_*Unit.dflt-&a=UnitClash_*F.*FaradayConstantValue--"

shall I rewrite the thread or would you move it there ?

thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
Hundreds of hours sounds much better. And the thread is already in HW subforum.

I was just wondering ... shouldn't the time depend on the amount of water that we are electrolysing or on the surface area of the electrodes ?

PeetPb said:
I was just wondering ... shouldn't the time depend on the amount of water that we are electrolysing

Doesn't matter how much water is present - what does matter is how much water decomposed.

or on the surface area of the electrodes ?

As long as the current is constant, electrode size doesn't matter. If you were to compare two experiments, where we supply the same potential, but electrodes are different, then yes - larger electrode will produce more gas. But it will produce more gas because the current will be higher.

thank you very much ... I got it finally :)

1. How do you calculate the time needed for electrolysis of water?

The time needed for electrolysis of water can be calculated by dividing the amount of water (in moles) by the rate of electrolysis (in moles per second).

2. What is the rate of electrolysis for water?

The rate of electrolysis for water is 2 moles per second, as each molecule of water (H2O) splits into 2 separate atoms of hydrogen (H) and 1 atom of oxygen (O) during the electrolysis process.

3. How does the amount of water affect the time needed for electrolysis?

The amount of water directly affects the time needed for electrolysis. The more water there is, the longer it will take to electrolyze, as there are more molecules to be split.

4. Is the rate of electrolysis affected by the type of electrolyte used?

Yes, the rate of electrolysis can be affected by the type of electrolyte used. Different electrolytes have different conductivities, which can affect the efficiency of the electrolysis process and therefore, the rate at which water is split.

5. Can the temperature of the water impact the time needed for electrolysis?

Yes, the temperature of the water can impact the time needed for electrolysis. Higher temperatures can increase the rate of electrolysis, as the molecules are moving faster and are more easily split. However, extreme temperatures can also lead to evaporation, which can affect the overall amount of water available for electrolysis.