Electromagnetic Induction Problem

In summary, the problem involves a 48.0cm wire moved through a magnetic field, with a 11.5 Ω resistor connected to the wire. Using the equations B=F/IL, V=IR, and V=Blv, the magnetic flux, voltage, and velocity were calculated to be 1.583333T, 4.8875V, and 6.430934591m/s, respectively. However, the direction of the velocity and EMF remain uncertain.
paytona

Homework Statement

A 425 mA conventional current is induced in a 48.0cm wire moved through a magnetic field. A 11.5 Ω resistor is connected to the wire as shown in the diagram below. If the magnetic force acting on the wire is 323 mN, then determine the direction and magnitude of the velocity of the wire moving through the magnetic field.
(Diagram is attached to this thread)

Homework Equations

B=F/IL
EMF=BlvsinΘ
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

My first step was to solve for the magnetic flux using B=F/IL
B= 323x10^-3 / (0.425A)(0.48m)
B= 1.5833333T

For my second step I found the Voltage of the current and resistor using V=IR
V=(0.425A)(11.5Ω)
V=4.8875V

For my third step I used V=Blv to solve for velocity
4.8875/[(1.583333T)(0.48m)= v
6.430934591m/s = v

and then I plugged it into the formula EMF=Blvsinθ
EMF=(1.58333)(0.48)(6.430934591)(sin90°)
EMF= 4.8875V

I know this is mostly wrong but I didn't know any other way to attempt this.
Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_5752.jpg
    IMG_5752.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
Why this doubt? I'd have done the same (except re-calculating emf at the end, perhaps).
Which step is tehe one you doubt the most ?
Apart from too many significant figures in the final answer, I do not see anything wrong in your solution.

BvU said:
Why this doubt? I'd have done the same (except re-calculating emf at the end, perhaps).
Which step is tehe one you doubt the most ?

Because I am missing direction. I feel I should use the voltage I get from solving for V as EMF to solve for velocity. I'm just very unsure about the actual EMF step and if the direction would be to right because the number is positive.

Related to Electromagnetic Induction Problem

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by placing it in a changing magnetic field.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

It works by Faraday's law, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric current in a conductor. This is because the changing magnetic field creates a force that pushes the free electrons in the conductor, creating an electric current.

3. What are some real-life applications of electromagnetic induction?

Some common applications include generators, transformers, electric motors, and induction cooktops.

4. What factors affect the amount of induced current in a conductor?

The amount of induced current is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the conductor moves in the field, and the angle between the conductor and the magnetic field.

5. How is electromagnetic induction related to electromagnetism?

Electromagnetic induction is a phenomenon that falls under the broader topic of electromagnetism, which studies the relationship between electricity and magnetism. Electromagnetic induction is a result of the interaction between electric and magnetic fields.