1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Induction Problem

1. Mar 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 425 mA conventional current is induced in a 48.0cm wire moved through a magnetic field. A 11.5 Ω resistor is connected to the wire as shown in the diagram below. If the magnetic force acting on the wire is 323 mN, then determine the direction and magnitude of the velocity of the wire moving through the magnetic field.
    (Diagram is attached to this thread)

2. Relevant equations

B=F/IL
    EMF=BlvsinΘ
    V=IR

3. The attempt at a solution

My first step was to solve for the magnetic flux using B=F/IL
    B= 323x10^-3 / (0.425A)(0.48m)
    B= 1.5833333T

For my second step I found the Voltage of the current and resistor using V=IR
    V=(0.425A)(11.5Ω)
    V=4.8875V

For my third step I used V=Blv to solve for velocity
    4.8875/[(1.583333T)(0.48m)= v
    6.430934591m/s = v

and then I plugged it in to the formula EMF=Blvsinθ
    EMF=(1.58333)(0.48)(6.430934591)(sin90°)
    EMF= 4.8875V

I know this is mostly wrong but I didn't know any other way to attempt this.
    Please help!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why this doubt? I'd have done the same (except re-calculating emf at the end, perhaps).
    Which step is tehe one you doubt the most ?

4. Mar 7, 2014 #3

Because I am missing direction. I feel I should use the voltage I get from solving for V as EMF to solve for velocity. I'm just very unsure about the actual EMF step and if the direction would be to right because the number is positive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted