Electromagnetic Tensor in (-+++) Convention

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the (-+++) and (+---) conventions in the relativistic description of electromagnetism and the potential impact on the definition of the electromagnetic tensor and components in the vector potential. The individual also mentions their confusion about the derivation of the relativistic Lorentz force from the Lagrangian using the (-+++) convention and the potential discrepancy with the expected result. The discussion also references different notations and conventions for the electromagnetic tensor and suggests an alternative form for the Lagrangian when using the (-+++) convention.
tomdodd4598
Hi there,

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been learning about the relativistic description of electromagnetism through Leonard Susskind's Theoretical Minimum lectures, and although I have managed to follow it, there are some parts which I am becoming increasingly confused by, not helped by the fact Susskind uses the (-+++) convention rather than the seemingly more popular (+---).

Is the definition of the electromagnetic tensor different depending on the convention? I am aware that the matrix changes (the contravariant and covariant forms are multiplied by -1 when moving between conventions), but does the definition of each component in terms of the vector potential change?

The reason I ask this is because when deriving the relativistic Lorentz force from the Lagrangian:
L=-m√(-dXϑ/dt dXϑ/dt)-qAϑ dXϑ/dt
I always seem to get the following answer (using the (-+++) convention):
SguMBOIh.jpg

Which is the negative of what I would expect from the definition of the Electromagnetic Tensor.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that there are also conventions regarding the index structure of F...
the ;-notation vs the ∇-notation.

Maybe the Lagrangian should be:
L=-m√(-dXϑ/dt dXϑ/dt)+qAϑ dXϑ/dt
when using the (-+++) convention?

1. What is the electromagnetic tensor in the (-+++) convention?

The electromagnetic tensor, also known as the electromagnetic field tensor, is a mathematical object that describes the electromagnetic field in terms of its electric and magnetic components. In the (-+++) convention, the tensor is written in a specific form that uses three positive signs and one negative sign to represent the components of the field.

2. How is the electromagnetic tensor related to Maxwell's equations?

The electromagnetic tensor is closely related to Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. In fact, the tensor can be derived from Maxwell's equations, and it is a useful tool for solving and understanding these equations in a more compact and elegant way.

3. What are the advantages of using the (-+++) convention for the electromagnetic tensor?

The (-+++) convention has several advantages in terms of simplifying calculations and making the tensor easier to work with. For example, it allows for a more compact representation of the tensor, making it easier to write and manipulate in equations. It also helps to maintain the Lorentz invariance of the tensor, which is important in special relativity.

4. Can the electromagnetic tensor be used in other conventions?

Yes, the electromagnetic tensor can be written in other conventions besides the (-+++) convention. Some common alternative conventions include the (+---) convention and the (0000) convention. In different conventions, the tensor may have a different overall sign or a different arrangement of positive and negative signs for its components.

5. What is the physical significance of the electromagnetic tensor?

The electromagnetic tensor is a mathematical tool that helps us understand and describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It represents the fundamental relationship between these two types of fields and is essential for understanding electromagnetic phenomena in both classical and quantum physics. It also plays a key role in the theory of special relativity, as it is closely related to the concept of spacetime curvature.