1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic wave problem

1. Apr 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ⃑E = Eo cos(4.0y−1.2 × 109 t) ̂ (N/C)
    where y is in meters and t is in seconds. The intensity of the wave is 200 mW/cm2 .

(a) In what direction is the wave propagating? (b) What are the wavelength and frequency of the wave? (c) What is the peak value of the electric field, 0, of the wave? (d) Find the magnetic field, ⃑⃑⃗(⃗,), of the wave. (e) Find an expression for the Poynting vector ⃑⃗(⃗,)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Do not know where to begin with this one, I cannot find any useful help related to anything similar to this question online, not even in my professors lectures. If anyone can just help me begin here I would appreciate it greatly. I understand the E-field is going in the x direction, but how can I visualize that? I also understand that the propagation is ExB.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2016 #2
    try writing expression of electric field as solution to electromagnetic field equations and try interpreting your given equation above'
    ask when E is maximum ?
    when its at minima?
    what is the wavelength,frequency....

4. Apr 10, 2016 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Why do you say that? I don't see any x in your equation. Or have you left something out? I'm wondering about that ^ near the end, just before the units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted