Electromagnetics = Biot-Savart Law around square path

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the B-field at the center of a square loop with width (w) and current I rotating counter-clockwise above the xy plane. The given equation, B = [(μo*I*aФ)/(4∏*ρ)](cosα2 – cosα1), is used to solve for the B-field, which is given as B = [(4μo*I)/(∏*w*(√2))]az. The person asking for help is struggling with determining the correct angles to use in the equation, specifically for α2 and α1. They mention using (w/2) for the radial component ρ, 45 degrees for α2, and 90 degrees for cosα
satchmo05

Homework Statement

Find the B-field at the center of the square loop located above the xy plane, with width (w), and current I rotating counter-clockwise.

Homework Equations

Here is the given equation:
B = [(μo*I*aФ)/(4∏*ρ)](cosα2 – cosα1)

The final answer is for the B-field about the loop is:
B = [(4μo*I)/(∏*w*(√2))]az
How do I obtain this answer? I am having trouble with the angles that I am supposed to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used (w/2) for the radial component, ρ. I used 45 degrees for α2, and 90 degrees for cosα1, and this is obviously wrong. Which angles do I use to get the correct angle?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solving this analytically for cosα2 - cosa1, I should receive 2/sqrt(2). How should I set up my angles to achieve this? Thank you for all help, I greatly appreciate it!

What kind of picture goes with the given equation? In other words, for what situation was it derived? How are ρ, α1 and α2 defined?

1. What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field generated by a steady current in a wire. It states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point.

2. How is the Biot-Savart Law related to electromagnetics?

The Biot-Savart Law is one of the basic laws of electromagnetism, along with the Coulomb's Law and the Ampere's Law. It describes the relationship between the magnetic field and the current, which is an important aspect of electromagnetism.

3. What does the square path refer to in the Biot-Savart Law?

The square path in the Biot-Savart Law refers to the shape of the path or contour over which the integration is performed. It is used to calculate the magnetic field at a given point due to a steady current in a wire.

4. How is the Biot-Savart Law applied in real-life situations?

The Biot-Savart Law is used in various applications, such as in electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic fields in different materials and the design of electronic devices.

5. Are there any limitations to the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is only applicable to steady currents and does not take into account the effects of changing magnetic fields. It also assumes that the current is confined to a single wire and does not consider the effects of multiple currents or the shape of the wire. In some cases, it may not accurately predict the magnetic field and more complex equations are needed.