Electron Speed in Conducting Shells

In summary: What is your question ?How to solve it. He says the formula but I need the steps because I don’t understandPost what you have so far ...
branshims

Homework Statement

Two long conducting cylindrical shells are coaxial and have radii of 20 mm and 80 mm. The
electric potential of the inner conductor, with respect to the outer conductor, is +600 V. An
electron is released from rest at the surface of the outer conductor.
What is the speed of the electron as it reaches the inner conductor?

Homework Equations

Unsure. Maybe qV?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start, honestly. The answer is 1.5*10^7m/s but I cannot figure the intermediate steps.

Edit: Solved, the formula was as follows,:cool:

v=sqrt(2*q*V/m)

Last edited:
Likes Nik_2213
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Bran, welcome to PF :)

Relevant equation "Maybe qV" is somewhat lacking: it doesn't have a speed in it, so there won't be a speed coming out. What's the dimension ?

From 3) I gather your attempt at solution was limited to peeking at the solutions manual (or at the back of the book). That doesn't count !

BvU said:
Hello Bran, welcome to PF :)

Relevant equation "Maybe qV" is somewhat lacking: it doesn't have a speed in it, so there won't be a speed coming out. What's the dimension ?

From 3) I gather your attempt at solution was limited to peeking at the solutions manual (or at the back of the book). That doesn't count !
I do not know what the point of your post is. Are you asking me anything?

Last edited:
Yes, you should show your attempt at solution. Otherwise PF rules don't allow assistance.

Fortunately, you found something other than just maybe qV and that was the right eqn, so: bravo !

hi, please someone can tell me how to do it. please, is urgent...

mcamila00 said:
hi, please someone can tell me how to do it. please, is urgent...
A thread from 2014 urgent ? OP indicates it is solved.

:welcome: and please read the guidelines

What is your question ?

BvU said:
A thread from 2014 urgent ? OP indicates it is solved.

:welcome: and please read the guidelines

What is your question ?
How to solve it. He says the formula but I need the steps because I don’t understand

Post what you have so far ...

BvU said:
and please read the guidelines

1. What is the concept behind electron speed in conducting shells?

The concept of electron speed in conducting shells refers to the movement of electrons within a conductive material. Electrons are free to move within the material, and their speed can be affected by external factors such as electric fields or temperature.

2. How does the electron speed affect the conductivity of a material?

The higher the electron speed in a conducting shell, the higher its conductivity. This is because faster moving electrons can transfer energy more quickly, making the material more conductive.

3. What factors can affect the electron speed in conducting shells?

Several factors can affect the electron speed in conducting shells, including the type of material, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material.

4. Is there a limit to how fast electrons can move within a conducting shell?

Yes, there is a limit to the speed of electrons within a conducting shell. This limit is known as the Fermi velocity and is determined by the material's properties, such as its atomic structure and density.

5. How is the electron speed in conducting shells measured?

Electron speed in conducting shells is typically measured using techniques such as electron spectroscopy or electron microscopy. These methods allow scientists to observe and analyze the movement of electrons within the material.