1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronic transitions

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which statement(s) is (are) FALSE in comparing the electronic transition from ni=5 to nf=2 in H with that of electronic transition from ni = 2 to nf = 5 in Be3+:

a) The photon involved in the H transition lies in the visible spectrum while that involved in the Be3+ transition lies in the UV region of the spectrum.
    b) A photon of the same frequency is involved in both transitions, but it is emitted the H electron transition and absorbed in the Be3+ transition.
    c) All of the above.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've discarded b) as it is obviously false. However, i think the final answer it's c), but apparently statement a) is true. I know that the H transition corresponds to the visible light region, but why does the Be3+ one lie in the UV region? (if it is from n = 2?) Or how do transitions in absorption of photons work?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2013 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

How do the energies (and thus also energy differences) in hydrogen like atoms depend on nuclear charge?

4. Oct 3, 2013 #3
    As nuclear charge increases, shouldn't the energy transitions become higher in energy?

5. Oct 4, 2013 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

6. Oct 6, 2013 #5
    I'm extremely sorry for not replying! I had my exam the last day and i finally realized what was wrong. I did some calculations with the formula, plugging in the results and i got a result of 42nm (i really don't remember). As visible light is from 400nm-800nm, then it would be in the UV region of the spectrum!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted