Electronics and logic gate question

In summary, the conversation is about using Boolean algebra to convert truth tables into a set of logic gates, specifically using only NAND gates. The speaker is unsure of how to proceed and is considering factorizing the boolean expression. They also mention the possibility of using NOR gates.
Learnphysics
I know this is probably in the wrong board, but.

I'v just been looking into some Boolean algebra to convert truth tables into a set of logic gates representing a circuit.

If i were attempting to represent a certain truth table, but i was limited to ONLY using NAND gates. (their the only one's i can find). How would i go about doing this.

IM assuming i get a boolean expression for the truth table, and then attempt to factorize it into a certain form which uses only NAND gates. BUt I am not exactly sure how to proceed.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can also do this with NOR gates, they are both very flexible.

Learnphysics said:
I know this is probably in the wrong board, but.

I'v just been looking into some Boolean algebra to convert truth tables into a set of logic gates representing a circuit.

If i were attempting to represent a certain truth table, but i was limited to ONLY using NAND gates. (their the only one's i can find). How would i go about doing this.

IM assuming i get a boolean expression for the truth table, and then attempt to factorize it into a certain form which uses only NAND gates. BUt I am not exactly sure how to proceed.

Is this for a particular application, or is it a classroom problem?

KM

1. What are logic gates and how do they work?

Logic gates are electronic components that perform logical operations on one or more binary inputs to produce a single binary output. They are the building blocks of digital circuits and are responsible for the processing and manipulation of binary data. These gates use Boolean algebra to determine the output based on the input values, and their functionality can be represented in truth tables.

2. What are the different types of logic gates and their functions?

There are several types of logic gates, including AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR, and XOR gates. The AND gate outputs a logical "1" only when all inputs are "1," the OR gate outputs a "1" if any of its inputs are "1," and the NOT gate inverts the input signal. NAND and NOR gates are combinations of AND and NOT, and OR and NOT gates, respectively. XOR gates output a "1" only when the inputs are different, and they are often used for arithmetic and data encryption operations.

3. How do logic gates contribute to the functioning of electronic devices?

Logic gates are the fundamental components of digital circuits, which are used in electronic devices to process and manipulate binary data. These devices include computers, smartphones, tablets, calculators, and many others. Logic gates are responsible for performing logical operations, such as addition, subtraction, and comparison, that are essential for the proper functioning of these devices.

4. Can logic gates be combined to create more complex circuits?

Yes, logic gates can be combined in various ways to create more complex circuits. This is known as logic gate sequencing or logic gate cascading. By connecting the output of one gate to the input of another, multiple gates can work together to perform more complex operations. This allows for the creation of digital circuits that can perform a wide range of tasks, from simple arithmetic to complex data processing.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using logic gates?

While logic gates are essential components of digital circuits and electronic devices, they do have some limitations. For example, they can only process binary data, which means they are not suitable for handling analog signals. Additionally, logic gates can introduce delay in signal transmission, which can impact the overall speed and performance of a circuit. However, advancements in technology have allowed for the development of faster and more efficient logic gate designs.