Electronics - Designing a ciruit

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a circuit using 2 resistors to achieve a current of 2mA with a 15V power supply and a 5 kilo ohm load. The load is explained as a consumer of electrical energy that can dissipate it in different forms. Ultimately, the solution involves placing the 2.5 kOhms resistors in series with the 5.0 kOhms load to achieve the desired current.
kel

Homework Statement

Given an ideal power supply of 15 V and a load of 5 kilo ohms, design a circuit using 2 resistors in which the current flowing through the load is close to 2mA

Homework Equations

None given (I'm assuming V=IR)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit confused with this one, I understand that maybe I could have 2 resistors of 3.75 kilo ohms each to cause the current to me 2mA, but I'm unsure of what role the '5 kilo ohm load' has.

Can anyone explain to me what this load is and what role it plays? I can't see it being internal resistance due to the power supply being 'ideal'.

Thanks
Kel

Physics news on Phys.org
A load could be a bunch of things, say a speaker or a lightbulb or an appliance. They consume electrical energy and can dissipate it as sound, light or heat...whatever the case may be. I believe you need to consider the resistance of the load in your design.

So basically I could just have 2 resistors in series with a total resistance of 2.5 kilo ohms and the 5 k'ohm load.

Thus, using I = v/R I'd get the 2mA that is expected!

Does that make sense??

Thread moved from Advanced Physics to Intro Physics.

kel, yes your answer is correct. By placing the 2.5 kOhms in series with the 5.0 kOhms, that will give you a 2mA current supplied by the 15V power supply.

1. What is the process for designing a circuit?

The process for designing a circuit typically involves the following steps: 1. Identify the purpose and requirements of the circuit 2. Create a block diagram to visualize the components and connections 3. Choose the appropriate components based on the circuit's purpose 4. Design the schematic diagram, which shows the connections and relationships between components 5. Use software or hand calculations to determine values for resistors and other components 6. Create a layout for the circuit board, including placement of components and traces 7. Test and troubleshoot the circuit to ensure it functions as intended 8. Make any necessary revisions and finalize the design.

2. What are the most important considerations when designing a circuit?

Some important considerations when designing a circuit include: - The purpose and function of the circuit - The power source and voltage requirements - The type and number of components needed - The physical size and layout of the circuit - The cost and availability of components - The potential for interference or noise - The environmental conditions the circuit will operate in - Safety considerations, such as electrical hazards or heat dissipation.

3. How do you choose the right components for a circuit?

Choosing the right components for a circuit involves considering the circuit's purpose, voltage and current requirements, and other specifications. Some factors to consider when selecting components include: - The type and function of the component - Its compatibility with other components in the circuit - Its voltage and current ratings - Its physical size and form factor - Its cost and availability - Any special features or characteristics that may be needed for the circuit.

4. What tools are needed for designing a circuit?

The tools needed for designing a circuit may vary depending on the complexity of the circuit and the designer's preference. Some common tools used for circuit design include: - A computer with circuit design software - A multimeter for testing and troubleshooting - A soldering iron for assembling the circuit - A breadboard for prototyping - Various hand tools for working with components and the circuit board - A power supply for testing the circuit - Oscilloscope for measuring and analyzing signals.

5. How can I ensure the reliability and functionality of a circuit design?

To ensure the reliability and functionality of a circuit design, it is important to thoroughly test and troubleshoot the circuit before finalizing the design. Use simulation software or breadboarding to test the design and simulate real-world conditions. Additionally, carefully select high-quality components and consider any potential sources of interference or noise. It is also helpful to get feedback from other engineers or experts in the field to catch any potential design flaws or improvements that can be made.