Electrons with in the forbidden gap

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Fermi level, which is defined as the highest filled energy level at absolute zero, and its relation to the probability of finding an electron within the forbidden gap in semiconductors. It is noted that while the Fermi level may be identified with the chemical potential in metals, it cannot be equated to an energy level in semiconductors. The confusion surrounding this concept is a common one and has been discussed multiple times on the forum. Additionally, the concept of the Fermi-Dirac distribution function and the density of states are mentioned as factors that contribute to understanding the number of electrons with a specific energy level.
GAGS
Hi all, on one side we say that probability of finding electron with in the forbidden gap is zero, on other side we define fermi level as highest filled energy level(at absolute zero) lying in the mid of forbidden gap.Also for(T>0) probability of finding electron is 1/2 upto fermi level. So what's that dilemma?
Electrons are lying with in the forbidden gap! or some-thing is mis-understood here.
Please reply

Physics news on Phys.org
Strictly speaking the Fermi level in the meaning as you use it, is a concept, which is just valid for metals, which do not have a band gap. In metals the Fermi level equals the electron chemical potential (the energy you need to bring into the system to add another particle.) at 0K.

Now some textbooks are a bit sloppy and identify the chemical potential with the Fermi energy even for semiconductors, where the chemical potential can of course be equal to an energy inside the band gap, but the Fermi level in its strictest meaning of course can't.

GAGS said:
Hi all, on one side we say that probability of finding electron with in the forbidden gap is zero, on other side we define fermi level as highest filled energy level(at absolute zero) lying in the mid of forbidden gap.Also for(T>0) probability of finding electron is 1/2 upto fermi level. So what's that dilemma?
Electrons are lying with in the forbidden gap! or some-thing is mis-understood here.
Please reply

This is almost identical to a question posted a while back that had been answered already.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=133914

Are you sure you're not the same person?

Zz.

Wow, Zz you sure have a good memory. That thread was dated 2 years ago! Anyway it isn't surprising that this question has been asked multiple times. I myself had similar doubts about this when I first learned semiconductor physics.

Defennder said:
Wow, Zz you sure have a good memory. That thread was dated 2 years ago! Anyway it isn't surprising that this question has been asked multiple times. I myself had similar doubts about this when I first learned semiconductor physics.

True. This is a rather common question. In fact, I can recall of at least another thread asking almost the same thing.

Like an elephant, I never forget. Now where are my keys?

Zz.

Thank you so much to all of you.Yes no doubt Zapper Z has very sharp memory. No sir i am not the same person to ask question.

i also confused about it when i m studying the semiconductor now...i had doubt like the statement/question post by GAGS

The Fermi level comes from Fermi-Dirac statistics. But it's not the only distribution function. You also have to think about the density of states. And while the Fermi-Dirac function F(E) (E - energy) might be non-zero in the forbidden gap the density of states g(E) is zero. The number of electrons with a specific energy N(E) is given by N(E) = F(E)g(E).

I found your keys, Zap, you left them in another thread.

1. What is the forbidden gap in an electron's energy levels?

The forbidden gap, also known as the band gap, is the range of energy levels in a material where electrons cannot exist. This gap exists between the valence band, where electrons are bound to atoms, and the conduction band, where electrons can move freely and conduct electricity.

2. How does the size of the forbidden gap affect the properties of a material?

The size of the forbidden gap determines the conductivity and optical properties of a material. A larger gap means the material is more insulating and less able to conduct electricity, while a smaller gap allows for better conductivity and optical properties such as color.

3. What happens if an electron is excited into the forbidden gap?

If an electron is excited into the forbidden gap, it becomes a free electron in the conduction band. This can occur through various processes such as thermal excitation or absorption of a photon. The presence of free electrons in the conduction band is what allows for the material to conduct electricity.

4. Can electrons move freely within the forbidden gap?

No, electrons cannot move freely within the forbidden gap. The energy levels in this gap are not allowed for electrons to exist in, so they are either bound to atoms in the valence band or exist as free electrons in the conduction band.

5. How does the forbidden gap vary between different materials?

The forbidden gap can vary greatly between different materials. In general, insulators have a larger gap, while conductors have a smaller or nonexistent gap. Additionally, the size of the gap can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities in the material.