Electroreception, Electric field and charges

In summary: This is called an electric dipole. The electric field around a dipole is always in one direction. You can think of this as like two magnets that are close to each other. The field of each magnet points in the opposite direction to the other.Now that you have an idea of what is going on, you can try to answer the question by using the electric field equation. This equation is a mathematical description of the electric field around a charge.The electric field around a charge is always in one direction. This is because the electric field around a charge is like the magnetic field around a magnet. The magnetic field around a magnet points in the opposite direction to the direction the field is pointing.So the electric field
Shima97
Hi guys. This is my question. I just wondering what equation that I'm suppose to use.

Homework Statement

What is the maximum distance at which a shark can detect the electric signal emitted by the trout’s heart if the predator is at a point on an axis passing through the centre of the heart? Assume the axis is parallel to the x-axis.
upload_2016-4-23_14-48-32.png

Figure 6: Electrical potential difference measured at Points A and B by the sensors shown in Figure 7. This is the beating of a brook trout’s heart recorded when the trout is in the position shown in Figure 7.

upload_2016-4-23_14-41-14.png

Figure 7: Scale drawing of trout seen from above in the aquarium when the measurement is taken by the electrocardiograph. The positions of sensors A and B and the electric dipole representing the heart are all shown.
sensitivity threshold of the shark is up to 0.5 μV/m

Homework Equations

E=ke(q/r^2) (the only equation that I can relate to)

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is an assumption type question. If any of you guys know how to solve this or just any equation involve is a big help. I tried to read the theoretical part but still it confusing. i tried to use the above equation but i don't actually know how to find the charge of the dipole from the picture. Beside that, I'm wondering if the shark sensitivity is related to the distance or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
This question is an assumption type question.
That is correct: therefore there are many ways to go about answering the question.
The point of this sort of question is to test your understanding and your ability to make decisions. That makes it difficult to help you without doing the problem for you.

So start by writing down what factors are likely, in your opinion, to affect whether or not the shark can detect the trout?
It may help you to realize there is a special name for the situation there are two charges close together as shown in the diagram.

Related to Electroreception, Electric field and charges

1. What is electroreception?

Electroreception is the ability of an organism to detect and respond to electric fields. It is a form of sensory perception that is found in various aquatic and terrestrial animals, including fish, amphibians, and certain mammals.

2. How do animals use electroreception?

Animals use electroreception for a variety of purposes, including navigation, communication, and hunting. Some animals, such as sharks, use electroreception to detect prey and navigate through murky waters. Others, like electric eels, use it to stun and immobilize their prey.

3. How do electric fields and charges interact?

Electric fields are created by electric charges, which can be positive or negative. Oppositely charged particles attract each other, while particles with the same charge repel each other. This interaction between charges and electric fields is the basis of many electrical phenomena, including electricity and magnetism.

4. Can humans sense electric fields?

While humans do not have the same level of electroreception as some animals, research has shown that we are capable of sensing and responding to weak electric fields. This ability is thought to be linked to our sense of touch and may play a role in our perception of texture and movement.

5. How is electroreception studied in animals?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study electroreception in animals, including behavioral experiments, electrophysiology, and imaging techniques. Some studies also involve manipulating the electric fields around animals to observe their responses and better understand their sensory abilities.