1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elements 118 and higher = why?

1. Jul 22, 2004 #1
    let's asume that the higher we go, the more stable the element is, or so i am lead to believe.

let's asume that at 160, it is perfectly stable. what would be the point? what i mean is, what could we use such a heavy material for? construction? AP ammo? engine blocks?

it seems to me there are 3 key points to using one material over another.

1) weight
    2) strength
    3) volume

eg, you could make a Titanium sword. It would be stronger, and lighter, but it's "volume" would be greatly larger. if it came to engine blocks of a car, this would be bad cos it would make the engine much larger (albeit stronger and lighter)

so what would such a heavy element be good for?

which element has the highest strengh to weight ratio?

------------------------------------------------------------------
    caution, the above poster may have no idea what he's talking about.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2004 #2

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you referring to the island of stability? 'Stability' is rather relative; there is an expectation that some nuclides near element 114 will be considerably more stable than heavier and lighter ones, but the expected half-lives are still no more than seconds (or much less). Not much good for car engine blocks :wink:

4. Jul 22, 2004 #3
    i was talking about that, yes. but what about after that?

5. Jul 22, 2004 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Actually, no - strength of material is generally in terms of volume or area, ie tensile strength is pounds per square inch. Titanium both has a higher tensile strength than steel and a higher strength to weight ratio. So a titanium sword would be both stronger and lighter than a steel one of identical proportions.
    I think its titanium, but you can exceed that with alloys and carbon composites.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  6. Jul 22, 2004 #5

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

... the nuclides become increasingly unstable, with half-lives of microseconds or less (OK, maybe one or two get to live as long as a millisecond).

7. Jul 30, 2004 #6
    A titantium sword might not really be an effective weapon.

If it were a "thrusting" weapon like a foil or an epee, it might be nice because it would minimize fatigue on the combatant.

But if titanium were used on a "slashing" weapon such as a sabre, it might not be effective because it doesn't carry as much momentum to it's target.

-Glenn

8. Jul 31, 2004 #7
    BEC Helium is the strongest material known to man.

But if you're talking about something more down-to-Earth, then diamond is the strongest.

Both only contain one element! :wink:

9. Sep 22, 2004 #8
    How about Lithium in a Vacuum? I am sure it has a large strength to weight ratio, if only because of its low weight.

10. Oct 4, 2004 #9
    WE also worry about shearing forces. Eg Depleted uranium is agreat for shells because is shows a phenominae called Adiabatic Shearing force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?