Eliminating time (t) between two equations

• Thread starter ohms law
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of eliminating a variable between two equations and deriving a third equation from them. They also mention the use of parametric equations and their understanding of the topic.
ohms law
I'm working through several example problems, and one thing that has come up a couple of times is where the person who solved these problems says "Eliminating t between equations (1)
and (2) yields", or something similar. He's deriving an equation based on two other equations obviously, but I don't understand how or why (well, I sort of understand why, but...)

So, in this instance, equation (1) is:
[itex]x=V_{0x}t=(V_{0}Cos\Theta_{0})t[/itex]

Equation (2) is:
[itex]y=y_{0}+V_{0y}t+{1/2}a_{y}t^{2}[/itex]

So, smashing them together (however you do that) and "eliminating t" (whatever that means, beyond the obvious), yields:
[itex]y=y_{0}+(Tan\Theta_{0})x+({a_{y}/2v_{0}^{2}Cos^{2}\Theta_{0}})[/itex]
I mean... I basically have that memorized now, but... how?

Physics news on Phys.org
it looks like he solved for t in the first equation and then substituted that in for t in equation 2

ooooh, parametric equations... haven't started those yet (in my calc class).
Thanks azizlwl!

That's actually a good insight too, shishkabob.
So, thanks to both of you.

(actually, after skimming through that parametric equations tutorial, I think that we've started on this material... some of it, anyway. humm...)

Eliminating time between two equations means finding a way to express one variable (in this case, time) in terms of the other variables in the equations. This is often done to simplify the equations and make them easier to solve or manipulate.

In this example, the goal is to eliminate t from equations (1) and (2) to get an equation that only involves x, y, and the other constants (V0x, V0, θ0, y0, V0y, and ay).

To eliminate t, we can rearrange equation (1) to solve for t:
t=x/(V0cosθ0)

Then we can substitute this value for t into equation (2):
y=y0+(V0sinθ0)x/(V0cosθ0)+1/2ay(x/(V0cosθ0))^2

Simplifying this equation gives us:
y=y0+tanθ0x+1/2ayx^2/V0^2cos^2θ0

Which is the same as the equation you have memorized, except for a minor difference in notation.

In summary, by eliminating time between equations (1) and (2), we are able to express y in terms of x and the other constants, simplifying the problem and making it easier to solve. This technique is commonly used in physics and other scientific fields to manipulate equations and solve problems.

What is the purpose of eliminating time between two equations?

The purpose of eliminating time between two equations is to simplify the equations and find a relationship between the variables without the influence of time. This can make problem-solving and analysis easier and more efficient.

How is time eliminated between two equations?

Time can be eliminated between two equations by rearranging the equations and solving for one of the variables. This variable can then be substituted into the other equation, effectively eliminating time from the equations.

What are the benefits of eliminating time between two equations?

Eliminating time can help to reduce the complexity of equations and make it easier to solve for the other variables. It also allows for a clearer understanding of the relationships between the variables without the added factor of time.

Can time always be eliminated between two equations?

No, not all equations can have time eliminated from them. Some equations may require the use of time in order to accurately represent a situation or relationship between variables. It is important to carefully consider the problem and determine if eliminating time is appropriate.

Are there any drawbacks to eliminating time between two equations?

One potential drawback of eliminating time between two equations is that it may oversimplify a problem and not accurately reflect real-world situations. It is important to carefully consider the problem and determine if eliminating time is the best approach for solving it.