1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eliminating time (t) between two equations

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    I'm working through several example problems, and one thing that has come up a couple of times is where the person who solved these problems says "Eliminating t between equations (1)
    and (2) yields", or something similar. He's deriving an equation based on two other equations obviously, but I don't understand how or why (well, I sort of understand why, but...)

So, in this instance, equation (1) is:
    [itex]x=V_{0x}t=(V_{0}Cos\Theta_{0})t[/itex]

Equation (2) is:
    [itex]y=y_{0}+V_{0y}t+{1/2}a_{y}t^{2}[/itex]

So, smashing them together (however you do that) and "eliminating t" (whatever that means, beyond the obvious), yields:
    [itex]y=y_{0}+(Tan\Theta_{0})x+({a_{y}/2v_{0}^{2}Cos^{2}\Theta_{0}})[/itex]
    I mean... I basically have that memorized now, but... how?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2
    it looks like he solved for t in the first equation and then substituted that in for t in equation 2

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3
  5. Oct 1, 2012 #4
    ooooh, parametric equations... haven't started those yet (in my calc class).
    Thanks azizlwl!

That's actually a good insight too, shishkabob.
    So, thanks to both of you.

(actually, after skimming through that parametric equations tutorial, I think that we've started on this material... some of it, anyway. humm...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook