Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ellipsometric measurements on a mirror.

1. Jan 16, 2013 #1
    Hi,

During my internship I worked with an Ellipsometer.
    Now I'm wondering, what values of Psi and Delta do you get when you measure a mirror under an Ellipsometer?
    Are there any phaseshifts at all? Because there are no layers on the mirror right?
    It's fully reflective in total..

Hanna

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2013 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It depends. Given a definition of the ellipsometric angles ψ and Δ as:

tan(ψ) exp(iΔ) = Rp/Rs,

Where Rp is the reflection coefficient for p-polarized light and Rs the coefficient for s-polarized light. ψ is then related to the ratio of reflectivities and Δ the relative phase shift experienced by s- and p-polarized light.

The reflectivities are given by the (complex) refractive index and angle of incidence, so ψ and Δ depend on both those quantities. Thus, 'nulling ellipsometry' is often used to measure how those angles change when something adsorbs onto the reflective surface by setting the instrument (compensator, polarizer, and analyzer angles), to zero when measuring the bare surface.

Azzam and Bashara's book has infinite detail about ellipsometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook