How Do You Calculate the Number of Photons from Sunlight on Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses the arrival of light from the sun at the earth, its frequency and power output, and the number of photons present. The equation hf is used to determine the energy of a photon, with a frequency of 5.0*1014 Hz. The power output of the sun is calculated to be 3.592*1026 W, and using the energy of one photon, the number of photons per second can be determined. The energy incident on the earth is 1.4*103 W/m2, and by finding the energy of one photon, the number of photons per second can also be determined.
sollinton

Homework Statement

Light from the sun arrives at the earth, an average of 1.5*1011 m away, at the rate of 1.4*103 W⁄m2 of area perpendicular to the direction of the light. Assume that sunlight is monochromatic with a frequency of 5.0*1014 Hz.

(a) How many photons fall per second on each square meter of the earth’s surface directly facing the sun?

(b) What is the power output of the sun, and how many photons per second does it emit?

(c) How many photons per cubic meter are there near the earth?

Homework Equations

Here is where I am running into trouble. I do not know any relationships between the data given and the number of photons present. I know the relationship has to do with the frequency of light, but I do not know the exact conversion.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have only been able to calculate the power output of the sun (which I found to be 3.592*1026 W. As stated above I do not know how to find the number of photons given the information above, and am not sure that I can proceed without this information.

I have searched around the internet and in my textbooks, but the only equations with photons that I can find are those concerning the photoelectric effect, relating hf to the kinetic energy of electrons.

Physics news on Phys.org
A relevant equation would be that the energy of a photon is hf. (and you know that f=5.0(1014) Hz.

So 'hf' Joules of energy gives 1 photon

3.592(1026) J in 1 second will give <some number> in 1 second.

EDIT: For the first part, the energy incident 1.4(103) W/m2, so you need to still find the energy of one photon and do the same type of thing.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Number of Photons from Sunlight on Earth?

1. What is EM Power?

EM Power, or electromagnetic power, refers to the amount of energy carried by an electromagnetic wave. It is measured in watts and is directly proportional to the square of the electric and magnetic fields of the wave.

2. How is EM Power related to photon density?

EM Power and photon density are closely related. Photon density is a measure of the number of photons present in a given area, while EM Power is the amount of energy carried by those photons. As the photon density increases, so does the EM Power.

3. What is the equation for calculating EM Power?

The equation for calculating EM Power is P = E x A x c, where P is the power, E is the electric field strength, A is the cross-sectional area of the wave, and c is the speed of light. This equation can also be written as P = E^2 / (2μ), where μ is the permeability of the medium.

4. How does EM Power affect matter?

EM Power can have various effects on matter, depending on its intensity and the properties of the material. It can cause heating, ionization, and excitation of atoms and molecules. In some cases, it can also damage or alter the structure of the material.

5. What are some real-world applications of EM Power and photon density?

EM Power and photon density have many practical applications. They are used in communication technologies such as radio, television, and cellular networks. They are also essential in medical imaging techniques such as X-rays and MRI scans. In addition, they are used in various industrial processes, such as welding and materials processing.