EM waves, Light, radio and all that.

In summary, EM waves are generated by changes in current and can be measured by calculating the distance between peaks on an oscilloscope. AC current carrying wires in everyday life do radiate EM waves and even mismatched antennas can transfer power into free space.
x+iy
I find EM waves very intriguing. But i get more confused and new questions pop up in my head every time i read something about it. I have a few basic questions.

1. Wavelength: As wavelength is distance between two peaks, how can we measure this distance in cm, meter etc. as physically there are no peaks (Earlier my impression was EM wave is a physical invisible line in air traveling like a sine wave which has the amplitude, wavelength of that given EM wave.)

2. As EM wave is generated when current changes, does this mean all AC current carrying wires in our day-to-day life radiate EM waves?

3. Radio antenna: As current needs to flow to create magnetic fields which generates electric field and hence EM wave. How does it take place in antenna as it does not seem to be closed loop to be able to carry current?

Please try to explain in simplest terms possible. Even though i know definitions of technical terms i fail to relate them to real world phenomena.
So a website link to video or animation would be very helpful to clear my confusion.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1. An oscilloscope generates a moving spot which moves fast enough to be able to resolve the wave of the electric component after amplification and display an analogy of it on a phosphor. We can then calculate the distance between peaks knowing the frequency and the speed of travel in space.
2. Yes.
3. Nor does the secondary winding of a transformer, yet the voltage is there even if there is no load connected to it. The ratio of voltage to current in an antenna is its characteristic impedance and for best power transfer to its load it has to be matched but whether correctly matched or not a current flows so long as there is a resistive or other loop provided by the load. In transmitting aerials the aerial has to match the impedance of free space for maximum power transfer but even a mismatched aerial will transfer some power into free space.

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that does not require a medium to travel through. They are created by the movement of electrically charged particles and include various types of radiation such as radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. How does light travel through space?

Light travels through space as electromagnetic waves, which consist of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. These fields are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of travel. The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

3. What is the difference between radio waves and light waves?

The main difference between radio waves and light waves is their frequency and wavelength. Radio waves have longer wavelengths and lower frequencies than light waves. Radio waves are used for communication, while light waves are responsible for the phenomenon of sight.

4. How are electromagnetic waves produced?

Electromagnetic waves are produced when an electrically charged particle, such as an electron, is accelerated or decelerated. This causes a disturbance in the electric and magnetic fields, which propagates outward as a wave.

5. Can electromagnetic waves be harmful to humans?

Yes, some types of electromagnetic waves can be harmful to humans. For example, high-energy radiation such as X-rays and gamma rays can damage cells and cause radiation sickness. However, other types of electromagnetic waves, such as visible light and radio waves, are not harmful to humans in normal exposure levels.