How Does a Moving Rod Affect Current in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a U-shaped conducting rail, a voltage source, a resistor, and a switch. A rod is free to slide on the rail and a uniform magnetic field is directed into the page. Initially, the current in the circuit is determined by the equation I=E/R^e(-t/time constant), where E=emf. As time goes on, the current remains constant if the rod is stationary but changes if the rod moves. The initial acceleration of the rod is due to the force experienced by a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field. Eventually, the rod reaches a constant terminal velocity and the current in the circuit is equal to the initial current.
pattiecake
Consider a circuit comprised of a U-shaped perfectly conducting rail. In the circuit there is a voltage source, V, a resistor, R, and a switch.

A perfectly conducting rod of mass, m, is free to slide on the U-shaped rail. Imagine the top end of the U facing open to the right, with the rod on top, parallel to the open end, and free to slide left or right.

There is a uniform magnetic field directed into the page. At time t=0 the switch is closed.

A) How much current initially flows in the circuit?

There's about a dozen equations in my physics book that don't really make sense, but I'm going to go with: I=E/R^e(-t/time constant), where E=emf.

B) As time goes on, does the current in the circuit: increase, decrease, or stay the same?

Well it should remain constant if the rod is stationary. If the rod moves the circuit will change. It will increase if it moves to the right and decrease if it moves to the left??

C) What is the initial acceleration of the rod?

Whoa- why is the rod moving?

D) After a long time, the rod wil reach a constant terminal velocity. What is the value of this velocity?

Still wondering why it's moving...

E) After the rod has reached constant terminal velocity, what is the value of the current flowing in the circuit?

Ummm, just taking a stab here, equal to part A?

HELP! HELP! HELP!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Two hints: (1) a current-carrying wire will experience a force in a magnetic field--that's why the rod starts to move, and (2) a conductor moving across a magnetic field will experience an induced EMF.

thank you very much for your reply. i apologize i haven't gotten a chance to sit down and work at it again. the pace of my class is so crazy. by the time i start to figure things out, the professor is already three chapters ahead of where i am. but thanks again, when i get the change to digest this, I'm sure i'll be posting additional questions. :wink:

What is electromagnetic force (EMF)?

Electromagnetic force (EMF) is a fundamental physical phenomenon that arises from the interactions between electrically charged particles and magnetic fields. It is responsible for the attractive or repulsive forces between charged particles, as well as the production of currents and magnetic fields.

How does a magnetic field produce EMF?

A magnetic field can produce EMF by exerting a force on charged particles, causing them to move and create a current. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis of how generators and electric motors work.

What factors influence the strength of EMF produced by a magnetic field?

The strength of EMF produced by a magnetic field depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the charged particles, and the angle between the direction of motion and the direction of the magnetic field. Additionally, the type of material the charged particles are moving through can also affect the strength of EMF.

What are some practical applications of EMF produced by a magnetic field?

EMF produced by a magnetic field has numerous practical applications, such as in generators and electric motors, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI and in wireless charging technology.

How can EMF produced by a magnetic field be harmful?

In certain situations, exposure to high levels of EMF produced by a magnetic field can be harmful to living organisms. This is why there are safety regulations in place for electromagnetic radiation, and precautions should be taken when working with strong magnetic fields, such as in MRI machines.