Solving for EMF: Potential Differences with R1 = 4 x R2 | Homework Question

In summary, the conversation is about finding the values of potential difference in terms of EMF, given the relationship R1 = 4 x R2. The attempt at a solution involved simplifying the values of R1 and R2, and then plugging them into the equations for current and EMF. The final step was to express the current and EMF solely as a function of E, using algebraic simplification.
yamugushi

Homework Statement

If R1 = 4 x R2 then what are the values of the potential difference in terms of the EMF, E?
s.png

I have R1 = 3/4, and R2 = 1/4 but that seems a bit simplistic, then I tried plugging it into equations and got completely different answers.

Homework Equations

R=V/I (?)
EMF=v1 +v2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I simply put it as 1/4 and 3/4, then I plugged it into the equations:
v=IR
v1=1(4) =4
v2=1(1) =1
EMF=v1 + v2 = 5
R2 = 1.25, R1 = 5

??

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve the current, I. Express this interim result as a function of E, R1 and R2.

Since you know that R1 = 4 x R2, you can now express the current solely as function of E and R2 (since R1 goes away after the substitution).

Now that you know the current, using V = IR, find the EMF (i.e. voltage) across R2. You should be able to express it solely as a function of E (after some algebraic simplification).

1. What is EMF and how does it relate to circuits?

EMF stands for electromotive force and refers to the energy that drives electric current through a circuit. In simple terms, it is the force that pushes electrons through a circuit. EMF is closely related to circuits because it is necessary for the flow of current and for the functioning of electronic devices.

2. What are some sources of EMF?

EMF can come from a variety of sources, including power lines, electrical appliances, wireless devices, and natural sources such as the sun and the earth's magnetic field. These sources emit different frequencies and intensities of EMF.

3. Is EMF harmful to human health?

The effects of EMF on human health are a topic of ongoing research and debate. Some studies have suggested potential health risks associated with prolonged exposure to high levels of EMF, while others have found no significant effects. Currently, there is no conclusive evidence that EMF exposure from everyday electronic devices is harmful to human health.

4. How can I reduce my exposure to EMF?

To reduce your exposure to EMF, you can take simple steps such as keeping a safe distance from high EMF emitting sources, using hands-free devices for your phone, and limiting your use of electronic devices. You can also consider shielding or grounding techniques for certain devices or areas of your home.

5. Can EMF affect the performance of electronic devices?

EMF can potentially interfere with the performance of electronic devices, especially in cases of high intensity and close proximity to the source. This interference can cause malfunctions, distortions, or complete failure of the device. Manufacturers often design electronic devices to be resistant to EMF, but it is still important to be aware of potential effects on performance.