Calculating Spring Compression and Muzzle Velocity in Projectile Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the muzzle speed and initial compression of a spring in a gun using given values for the spring constant, mass, and potential and kinetic energy equations. The correct answer for the muzzle speed is determined to be 39.2 ft./s, but there is uncertainty about the given answer of 4.2 inches for the initial compression of the spring.
bacon

Homework Statement

The spring of a gun has a spring constant, k, of 4.0lb/in. When the gun is inclined upward by 30 degrees to the horizontal, a 2.0 oz ball is shot to a height of 6.0 ft above the muzzle of the gun. (a) What was the muzzle speed of the ball? (b) By how much must the spring have been compressed initially?
No questions on part (a). I can get the answer of 39.2 f/s.
The answer to part (b) is 3.4 in. I am consistently getting an answer of 4.2 in.

Homework Equations

k=4.0 lb/in = 48 lb/f
m= "2.0 oz" = 2.0 x [tex](1.94)10^{-3}[/tex] slugs/oz= 3.88 x [tex]10^{-3}[/tex]slugs
[tex]E_{k}=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex]

Potential energy contained in the spring:
[tex]U=\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The energy of the ball as it leaves the muzzle comes from the potential energy released as the spring decompresses. Therefore,

[tex]U=E_{k}[/tex]
Solving for x gives:

[tex]x=v\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}[/tex]

and plugging in values for the variables:

[tex]x=39.2\sqrt{\frac{(3.88)10^{-3}}{48}}=.35f=.35(12)=4.2in[/tex]

which is apparently the wrong answer.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method looks right, and I get the same answer you do, 4.2 inches. Either I'm missing something, or the given answer is wrong. (I double-checked your answer for part (a) too, just in case, but I also get 39.2 ft./s)

Last edited:
Thanks, Diazona,
Not only do I get 39.2f/s in part (a), it is the answer in the back of the book. So I feel fairly sure that part is correct. I am also starting to think the answer in the book for (b) is wrong but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

1. What is energy and how is it related to spring compression?

Energy is defined as the ability to do work. In the context of spring compression, energy is stored in the spring when it is compressed. This is known as potential energy, and it can be converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released.

2. How does the amount of compression affect the energy stored in a spring?

The amount of compression directly affects the amount of potential energy stored in the spring. The more a spring is compressed, the more potential energy it has. This relationship is linear, meaning that doubling the compression will result in double the potential energy.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy stored in a spring?

The amount of energy stored in a spring is affected by several factors, including the spring's stiffness, the distance it is compressed, and the mass of the object compressing it. Generally, stiffer springs and greater compression will result in more energy stored.

4. Can the energy stored in a spring be calculated?

Yes, the potential energy stored in a spring can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed. This formula assumes that the spring is being compressed and released without any external forces acting on it.

5. How is energy from spring compression used in everyday life?

Energy from spring compression is used in a variety of applications, such as in watches, car suspensions, and pogo sticks. It is also used in many industrial processes, such as in shock absorbers and conveyor systems. Additionally, renewable energy sources like hydroelectric power use spring compression to store energy for later use.