How Do Metals Distribute Energy When Heated and Electrified?

In summary, there is a way to calculate the distributions of excited states in a metal wire with a current, and they will be mostly concentrated along the surface but with some non-uniformity due to the thermal gradient.
Mr Boom
I'm not very familiar with the subject matter, so it's possible that this is an easy question. Here goes:

Let's say I have an ideal solid in which the atoms are unable to translate or rotate but have a certain distribution of vibrational energy related to the temperate. If there is a temperature gradient in the metal than this distribution will change along with it, but let's assume we are at equilibrium. Now since even solids can glow when heated, I'm assuming there is also a distribution function for the electronic states (with radiative lifetimes and quenching rates?) that is also, assuming equilibrium, related to the temperature. Correct me if I'm wrong so far.

So it seems to me that since metals share electrons more willingly, the equilibrate much more quickly. Is this why they make good thermal conductors? Now for the real question: If I pass a current through a wire at steady state, is there a way to calculate these distributions? Will the excited states be uniformly distributed, in agreement with any temperature gradient, or mostly along the surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible to calculate the distributions of excited states in a metal wire when a current is passed through it. The exact distribution will depend on the nature of the material, the type of current, and the temperature. Generally speaking, the excited states will be more concentrated along the surface of the wire due to the increased electric field at the surface. However, there will also be some non-uniformity in the distribution due to the thermal gradient, as the metal will be hotter near the current source.

What is energy distribution in metals?

Energy distribution in metals refers to the way in which energy is transferred and distributed among the atoms and electrons within a metal material.

How is energy distributed in metals?

Energy is distributed in metals through the movement of free electrons, which are responsible for carrying thermal and electrical energy. The energy is also distributed among the atoms through vibrations and collisions.

What factors affect energy distribution in metals?

The main factors that affect energy distribution in metals include temperature, crystal structure, and the presence of impurities or defects in the metal material.

Why is understanding energy distribution in metals important?

Understanding energy distribution in metals is important for various reasons, including predicting the behavior of metals under different conditions, designing more efficient materials, and developing new technologies and applications.

How is energy distribution in metals studied?

Energy distribution in metals is primarily studied through experimental techniques, such as thermal and electrical conductivity measurements, as well as theoretical models and computational simulations.