What is the relationship between energy levels and de Broglie waves?

In summary: This means that the wavelength of the emitted/absorbed photon will always be equal to the energy difference between the two energy levels.
dalarev
The Formula for computing E(n) = -(Z^2)/(n^2) * Ei

is fairly straight forward. Am I right in thinking this formula refers to the energy level of the atom with Z number of protons? This formula, what it yields at least, doesn't depend on the number of electrons the atom has?

Also, when trying to find the wavelength of the emitted/absorbed photon, should we use hc/E or h/p ? What makes a wave a de Broglie wave? I have deeper doubts but I don't even know where to start, I hope with more replies it'll become clearer.

Physics news on Phys.org
dalarev said:
The Formula for computing E(n) = -(Z^2)/(n^2) * Ei

is fairly straight forward. Am I right in thinking this formula refers to the energy level of the atom with Z number of protons? This formula, what it yields at least, doesn't depend on the number of electrons the atom has?

This formula works only for hydrogen and for "hydrogen-like" ions, that is, ions with only one electron, e.g. He+, Li++, Be+++, etc. If there's more than one electron, the electrons interact with each other and this affects the energy levels.

Also, when trying to find the wavelength of the emitted/absorbed photon, should we use hc/E or h/p ?

It doesn't make any difference, because for a photon, E = pc. This follows from the general formula for energy, momentum and rest mass:

[tex]E^2 = (pc)^2 + (m_0 c^2)^2[/tex]

with [itex]m_0 = 0[/itex] for a photon.

jtbell said:
This formula works only for hydrogen and for "hydrogen-like" ions, that is, ions with only one electron, e.g. He+, Li++, Be+++, etc. If there's more than one electron, the electrons interact with each other and this affects the energy levels.
I suppose for the purpose of my class (and my exam today) this general formula will be enough. Actually, they love to use the energy 13.6 eV in the book, I believe this is the same case that only applies for single electron-atoms.

jtbell said:
It doesn't make any difference, because for a photon, E = pc. This follows from the general formula for energy, momentum and rest mass:

[tex]E^2 = (pc)^2 + (m_0 c^2)^2[/tex]

with [itex]m_0 = 0[/itex] for a photon.
That's exactly right..I didn't think it through very well.

What about when they ask for the energy of the photon that is emitted? The wavelength of the emitted/absorbed photon will always equal the Energy needed for the electron to move from one energy level to the next, correct?

dalarev said:
What about when they ask for the energy of the photon that is emitted? The wavelength of the emitted/absorbed photon will always equal the Energy needed for the electron to move from one energy level to the next, correct?

The wavelength of an emitted/absorbed photon will be related to the energy decrease/increase of the electron that absorbed it by:

[tex]\Delta E=hc/\lambda[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to What is the relationship between energy levels and de Broglie waves?

1. What are energy levels?

Energy levels refer to the quantized states of energy that an electron can have in an atom. These levels are determined by the distance of the electron from the nucleus and can be thought of as the electron's potential energy.

2. Who is de Broglie and what is his contribution to this concept?

Louis de Broglie was a French physicist who proposed the concept of wave-particle duality, which states that particles, like electrons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties. He also proposed the de Broglie equation, which relates the wavelength of a particle to its momentum.

3. How do energy levels and de Broglie's concept relate to each other?

De Broglie's concept of wave-particle duality helps to explain the behavior of electrons in energy levels. The electron can be thought of as a wave that is confined to specific energy levels, and the wavelength of the electron determines its energy level.

4. What is the significance of energy levels and de Broglie's concept in atomic structure?

The concept of energy levels and de Broglie's concept are crucial in understanding the electronic structure of atoms. They help explain phenomena such as the stability of atoms, the arrangement of electrons in orbitals, and the formation of chemical bonds.

5. Can energy levels and de Broglie's concept be applied to other particles besides electrons?

Yes, de Broglie's concept of wave-particle duality and the idea of quantized energy levels can be applied to other particles, such as protons, neutrons, and even larger particles like atoms and molecules. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and helps to explain the behavior of all particles on a microscopic level.