Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy levels, de Broglie

1. Mar 31, 2008 #1
    The Formula for computing E(n) = -(Z^2)/(n^2) * Ei

is fairly straight forward. Am I right in thinking this formula refers to the energy level of the atom with Z number of protons? This formula, what it yields at least, doesn't depend on the number of electrons the atom has?

Also, when trying to find the wavelength of the emitted/absorbed photon, should we use hc/E or h/p ? What makes a wave a de Broglie wave? I have deeper doubts but I don't even know where to start, I hope with more replies it'll become clearer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

This formula works only for hydrogen and for "hydrogen-like" ions, that is, ions with only one electron, e.g. He+, Li++, Be+++, etc. If there's more than one electron, the electrons interact with each other and this affects the energy levels.

It doesn't make any difference, because for a photon, E = pc. This follows from the general formula for energy, momentum and rest mass:

[tex]E^2 = (pc)^2 + (m_0 c^2)^2[/tex]

with [itex]m_0 = 0[/itex] for a photon.
  4. Mar 31, 2008 #3
    I suppose for the purpose of my class (and my exam today) this general formula will be enough. Actually, they love to use the energy 13.6 eV in the book, I believe this is the same case that only applies for single electron-atoms.

That's exactly right..I didn't think it through very well.

What about when they ask for the energy of the photon that is emitted? The wavelength of the emitted/absorbed photon will always equal the Energy needed for the electron to move from one energy level to the next, correct?
  5. Apr 1, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The wavelength of an emitted/absorbed photon will be related to the energy decrease/increase of the electron that absorbed it by:

[tex]\Delta E=hc/\lambda[/tex]
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?