Energy of a Forced, Damped Oscilator

In summary: So the energy is not simply the integral of F dot x. That's why you get the cosine term in the expression for the total energy. That's also why the system is driven at less than its natural frequency: so that F and x don't have the same frequency.In summary, a forced damped oscillator with a displacement varying with time of x=Asin(ωt) and a resistive force of -bv will have potential energy, kinetic energy, and total energy that vary over the cycle when the driving frequency ω is less than the natural frequency ω0. The total energy is given by E=T=12mA2(sin2(ωt)+ω2cos(ωt))-bAsin(ωt
bananabandana

Homework Statement

A forced damped oscilator of mass ##m## has a displacement varying with time of ##x=Asin(\omega t) ## The restive force is ## -bv##. For a driving frequency ##\omega## that is less than the natural frequency ## \omega_{0}##, sketch graphs of potential energy, kinetic energy and total energy of the oscillator over the cycle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the equation given, and the definitions of kinetic and potential energy for an oscillator:
(1) Kinetic Energy:
$$ E_{K}=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^{2} = \frac{1}{2}mA^{2}\omega^{2}cos(\omega t) $$

(2) Potential Energy,
$$ E_{P}=\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}=\frac{1}{2}mA^{2}sin^{2}(\omega t) $$

These are simple and easy to plot. My issue comes when thinking about the total energy:

(3) Total Energy:
$$ E_{T}= E_{K}+E_{P} +E_{D} $$
##E_{D} ## is the energy lost due to the damping force, ##F_{D}##, where ##F_{D}=-b\dot{x}##.

At some time ##t##, then :

$$ E_{D} = \int_{0}^{x(t)} F_{D} \ dx = \int^_{0}^{x(t)} \omega \sqrt{1-x^{2}} \ dx $$
This can be evaluated by making the substitution ##x=sin(u) \implies dx=cos(u) du ##.
So:
$$ E_{D} = \int_{0}^{sin(x(t))} \omega cos^{2}u \ du = \bigg|_{0}^{sin(x(t)} \frac{sin(2u)}{4} +\frac{u}{2} $$

So:

$$E_{T}=\frac{1}{2}mA^{2}\bigg(sin^{2}(\omega t)+\omega^{2}cos(\omega t)\bigg)-bAsin(\omega t) $$

Is this the right approach though? The reason I am confused is that there will be points in the motion where the damping force will do work with the system - whereas it should be at all times against it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PLEASE IGNORE ABOVE - OLDER VERSION WAS COPIED IN BY MISTAKE! APOLOGIES.
bananabandana said:

Homework Statement

A forced damped oscilator of mass ##m## has a displacement varying with time of ##x=Asin(\omega t) ## The restive force is ## -bv##. For a driving frequency ##\omega## that is less than the natural frequency ## \omega_{0}##, sketch graphs of potential energy, kinetic energy and total energy of the oscillator over the cycle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the equation given, and the definitions of kinetic and potential energy for an oscillator:
(1) Kinetic Energy:
$$ E_{K}=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^{2} = \frac{1}{2}mA^{2}\omega^{2}cos(\omega t) $$

(2) Potential Energy,
$$ E_{P}=\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}=\frac{1}{2}mA^{2}sin^{2}(\omega t) $$

These are simple and easy to plot. My issue comes when thinking about the total energy:

(3) Total Energy:
$$ E_{T}= E_{K}+E_{P} +E_{D} $$
##E_{D} ## is the energy lost due to the damping force, ##F_{D}##, where ##F_{D}=-b\dot{x}##.

At some time ##t##, then :

$$ E_{D} = \int_{0}^{x(t)} F_{D} \ dx =-b \int_{0}^{x(t)} \omega \sqrt{1-x^{2}} \ dx $$
This can be evaluated by making the substitution ##x=sin(u) \implies dx=cos(u) du ##.
So:
$$ E_{D} = \int_{0}^{sin^{-1}(x(t))} \omega cos^{2}u \ du = \bigg|_{0}^{sin^{-1}(x(t))} \frac{sin(2u)}{4} +\frac{u}{2} $$

So:

$$E_{T}=\frac{1}{2}mA^{2}\bigg(sin^{2}(\omega t)+\omega^{2}cos(\omega t)\bigg)-b\frac{sin\big[2sin^{-1}(Asin(\omega t)\big]+2sin^{-1}\big[Asin(\omega t\big]}{4} $$

But this doesn't seem right - there must be a simpler approach!
Could someone please help?
Thanks!

Thanks!

The units don't work out in your expression for potential energy. Also, don't you also need to take into account the work done by the applied force? It's continually adding energy to the system as the frictional force dissipates it.

Ah, I think I understand better now - can we say that if it's in a steady state that the loss of energy due to friction is equal to the energy which is input into the system by the driver?

In that case, we just get back to the total energy being ## \frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}A^{2} ##. ?

By the way, can you tell me what the significance of ## \omega ## being less than ## \omega_{0} ## is here? I don't really understand why it matters. Thanks!

On average, it's true that the energy input is equal to the energy lost, but the total energy varies with time. I think the problem is asking you to calculate the energy as a function of time.

Oh, oops .The expression for the potential energy is rubbish. Sorry. It should be:

$$ E_{U} = \frac{1}{2}kA^{2}sin^{2}\omega t =\frac{1}{2}m\omega_{0}^{2}A^{2}sin^{2}\omega t $$

After that, I went through it again:

I get that the kinetic energy plus the potential energy: ## E_{K}+E_{U} ## is:
$$ E_{K}+E_{U}= \frac{1}{2}mA^{2}(\omega^{2}sin^{2}\omega t+\omega_{0}^{2}cos^{2}\omega t) =\frac{1}{2}A^{2}m[\omega^{2}+(\omega_{0}^{2}-\omega^{2})cos^{2}\omega t)]$$

Using the argument that ## P=F\dot{x} ##, I then say that the net energy due to the driving force ##F## and the damping force ##F_{D}## is:
$$ E_{N} = \int_{0}^{t} F_{D}\dot{x} - F\dot{x} \ \text{dt'} \ $$
We know that ##F ## is going to be of the form:
$$ F=F_{0}sin(\omega t)$$
##F_{D}## is given by ##F_{D}=-b\dot{x}=-b\omega A cos\omega t \implies F_{D}\dot{x} = -b \omega^{2}A^{2}cos^{2}\omega t ## So:
$$ E_{N} = \int_{0}^{t} -b\omega^{2}A^{2}\bigg(\frac{cos2\omega t' +1}{2} \bigg) + \omega F_{0}cos2\omega t' \ \text{dt'} $$
$$ \ \therefore E_{N}= \frac{-b\omega^{2}A^{2}}{2}t+\frac{sin(2\omega t)\omega}{2}\bigg(\frac{F_{0}-b\omega A^{2}}{2} \bigg) $$

So I suppose the total energy ##E_{T} ## is then :

$$ E_{T}=E_{N}+E_{K}+E_{U} =\frac{-b\omega^{2}A^{2}}{2}t+\frac{sin(2\omega t)\omega}{2}\bigg(\frac{F_{0}-b\omega A^{2}}{2} \bigg)+\frac{1}{2}A^{2}m[\omega^{2}+(\omega_{0}^{2}-\omega^{2})cos^{2}\omega t)] $$

But this expression seems very unhelpful in terms of sketching the graph - what should I do? :P

There's a phase shift between the forcing term F and the displacement x.

1. What is the energy of a forced, damped oscillator?

The energy of a forced, damped oscillator is the total amount of energy that is present in the system at any given time. This includes both the kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy (stored energy) of the oscillator.

2. How is the energy of a forced, damped oscillator affected by damping?

The energy of a forced, damped oscillator is affected by damping in that it decreases over time due to the dissipation of energy through the damping mechanism. This means that the amplitude of the oscillator's motion decreases as it loses energy.

3. What is the role of the forcing function in the energy of a forced, damped oscillator?

The forcing function, which represents the external force applied to the oscillator, plays a crucial role in determining the energy of a forced, damped oscillator. It is responsible for supplying energy to the system and thus, affects the amplitude and frequency of the oscillator's motion.

4. Can the energy of a forced, damped oscillator ever increase?

In theory, the energy of a forced, damped oscillator can increase if the forcing function is applied at the same frequency as the natural frequency of the oscillator. However, in most practical cases, the damping mechanism will prevent a significant increase in energy.

5. How does the energy of a forced, damped oscillator relate to its resonance frequency?

The energy of a forced, damped oscillator is highest at its resonance frequency, which is the frequency at which the oscillator's amplitude is largest. This is because the forcing function and the natural frequency of the oscillator are in sync, resulting in maximum energy transfer to the system.