1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of simple harmonic oscillator

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moves along x-axis subject to a force toward the origin proportional to -kx. Find kinetic (K) and potential (P) energy as functions of time t, and show that total energy is contant.

2. Relevant equations

K = (1/2)m*v^2
    P = (1/2)k*x^2
    E = K+P

x = Asin(wt + [tex]\tau[/tex])

v = dx/dt = wA(cos(wt + [tex]\tau[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution

K = (1/2)m*v^2 = (1/2)m*w^2A^2(cos^2(wt + [tex]\tau[/tex])

P = (1/2)k*x^2 = (1/2)k*A^2(sin^2(wt + [tex]\tau[/tex]))

But when I add these to get the total energy, the terms with t do not cancel, and so the total energy is not constant. I can only imagine then that I've done something wrong in the above, very basic steps. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2
    Another equation that comes in handy is w^2 = k/m. Rearranging this you get k = m*w^2 which can be substituted into the first equation, to get K = (1/2)m*v^2 = (1/2)k*A^2(cos^2(wt + [tex]\tau[/tex] )).

When adding K+P, the (1/2)k*A^2 (which is present in both terms) can now be taken as a common factor and using the trigonometric identity cos^2(x) + sin^2(x) = 1 shows the energy is constant.

4. Nov 19, 2008 #3
    Of course, that seems so obvious now! Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?