Energy stored in a mechanical watch spring

In summary, trying to power small electronic devices with a mechanical self-winding watch movement can be risky because the stored energy in the watch's mainspring can be released quickly and acid can be involved.
jasc15
My mind often wanders while driving, and since I had been reading a lot about watches one particular day, as well as having read an article on springs made of carbon nano-tubes, I thought it might be possible to power small electronic devices with a mechanical self-winding watch movement. However, I had a hard time estimating the stored energy in a watch mainspring. So with some of the practical considerations aside, how would I go about estimating this? or better yet, where could I find out.

Engineering news on Phys.org
While trying to find an answer, I came across this interesting problem:

What happens to the potential energy of a wound watch spring when it is dissolved in acid?

This problem was asked in a 1901 issue of the NY Times. http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9B00E1D81330E132A25754C1A9659C946097D6CF

jasc15 said:
While trying to find an answer, I came across this interesting problem:

This problem was asked in a 1901 issue of the NY Times. http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9B00E1D81330E132A25754C1A9659C946097D6CF

At some point prior to the total degradation of the spring, it would fracture at a single location thus releasing the potential energy and probably splashing acid everywhere.

DO NOT RECOMMEND TRYING.

No, the energy is released slowly into the acid with each layer of spring removed. The effect is to heat the acid. If the spring is the common helical variety, each layer is in shear, tensioned and compressed in the +/- 45 degree directions along the surface. If the diameter is eroded to half, the large majority of the potential energy is removed. 15/16th, is it?

Not a lot of potential energy is left, as it loses diameter, to cause a sudden failure at some point along its length. The last bit dissolves in a whimper, not a bang.

What is the purpose of the spring in a mechanical watch?

The spring in a mechanical watch is responsible for storing and releasing energy, which powers the movement of the watch hands and other mechanisms.

How is energy stored in a mechanical watch spring?

The energy is stored by winding the spring tightly using the watch's crown. This causes the coils of the spring to be compressed and store potential energy.

What happens when the spring is fully wound in a mechanical watch?

When the spring is fully wound, it contains the maximum amount of potential energy and will slowly unwind as the watch is used, releasing energy to power the watch's movements.

Can the energy stored in a mechanical watch spring run out?

Yes, the energy stored in a mechanical watch spring will eventually run out as the spring unwinds. This is why mechanical watches need to be wound regularly to ensure they have enough energy to keep running.

How does the energy stored in a mechanical watch spring affect accuracy?

The amount of energy stored in the spring can affect the accuracy of the watch. If the spring is fully wound, the watch will run faster, and as the spring unwinds, the watch will run slower. This is why regular winding is important for maintaining accurate timekeeping.