Calculating Energy Stored in a Two-Spring System

In summary, the problem involves a system of two springs, one with a particle of 4m and the other with a mass of 3m attached to its end, hanging vertically in equilibrium. The energy stored in the two springs can be calculated by finding the amount of energy stored in a spring when it stretches by a certain amount, and then using that to find the amount of stretch in each spring due to the masses attached. The equation for the energy stored in the two springs is -\int(F(x)) dx, with F(x) being the force exerted by the spring.
Skuzzy

Homework Statement

A particle (4m) is suspended from a fixed point by a spring of stiffness k and natural length l0. An identical 2nd spring is attached to this particle, and a mass (3m) is attached to its end. The system hangs vertically in equilibrium.
Take the datuim of P.E. a in each spring to be the natural length of that spring.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2653/2springsytem.jpg

Write down the an equation for the energy stored in the two springs.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Spring 1, exerts force H1=k(x1-l0)i

it supports both particles so W1=7mgi

Spring 2, exerts force H2=k(x2-l0)i

it supports only the lower particle so W2=3mgi

The energy function U(x) = - [tex]-\int(F(x)) dx[/tex]

I don't know how to proceed: Should I be integrating 2 equations for the force? Don't I need 'x' in F(x) to be the same in both cases? Have I just got myself in a muddle and am thinking about this all the wrong way?

Any help appreciated.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find how much energy is stored in a spring if it stretches by amount x?
Can you find how much a spring stretches by if you hang mass m from it?
The bottom spring has mass 3m hanging from it.
The top spring has mass 7m hanging from it.

Put it together.

I managed to make this way more complicated for myself than it needed to be... thanks for the help.

i had been trying to come up with a single equation but with two unknown extensions i was getting myslef in a quite a muddle.

SOLVED. thanks.

Related to Calculating Energy Stored in a Two-Spring System

1. What is the definition of energy stored in springs?

The energy stored in springs is the potential energy that is stored in a spring when it is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position. This energy is stored in the form of elastic potential energy.

2. How is the energy stored in springs calculated?

The energy stored in springs can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2kx², where E represents the energy stored, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy stored in springs?

The amount of energy stored in springs is affected by the spring constant, which is determined by the material and design of the spring, and the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

4. Can the energy stored in springs be converted into other forms?

Yes, the energy stored in springs can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy. When a compressed or stretched spring is released, the stored energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the spring to move.

5. What are some real-life applications of energy stored in springs?

The energy stored in springs is used in many everyday objects, such as trampolines, pogo sticks, and door hinges. It is also used in more complex systems, such as shock absorbers in cars and mechanical watches.