Energy transfer by conduction through a window

In summary, the glass windowpane in the home, with dimensions of 1.0 m x 2.0 m and a thickness of 0.62 cm, has a thermal conductivity of 0.84. With indoor and outdoor temperatures of 25˚C and 0˚C respectively, the rate of energy transfer through the window is 6774 J/s and the total energy lost in one day is 5.85 x 108 Joules. The equations used were P = kA(delta T/L) for part a and q = P(delta T) for part b, with values for A, delta T, and L as stated above.
amaryllia

Homework Statement

A glass windowpane in a home is 0.62 cm thick and has dimensions of 1.0 m x 2.0 m. On a certain day, the indoor temperature is 25˚C and the outdoor temperature is 0˚C.
a) What is the rate at which energy is transferred by heat through the glass?
b) How much energy is lost through the window in one day, assuming the temperatures inside and outside remain constant?

Homework Equations

For part a:
P = kA(delta T/L)

P = power (J/s)
k = thermal conductivity of glass, in my book it is 0.84
A = area of window = 2 m2
delta T = difference of temps from inside and outside window = 25oC
L = thickness of window = 0.0062 m

For part b:
q = P(delta T)

q = energy
P = power = 6774 J/S
delta T = 1 day = 86400 s

The Attempt at a Solution

When I solve this, I get 6774 J/s for part A, and 5.85 x 108 Joules for Part B.
Just wondering if I got the right answers/used the right equations. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like the correct method to me.

Related to Energy transfer by conduction through a window

What is conduction?

Conduction is the process of heat transfer through a material, in which energy is transferred from one molecule to another without any overall movement of the material itself.

How does energy transfer by conduction occur through a window?

In a window, energy transfer by conduction occurs when heat from the warmer side of the window is transferred to the cooler side through the molecules of the window material.

Which factors affect energy transfer by conduction through a window?

The rate of energy transfer by conduction through a window is affected by the temperature difference between the two sides of the window, the material of the window, and the thickness of the window.

Can energy transfer by conduction through a window be reduced?

Yes, energy transfer by conduction through a window can be reduced by using materials with low thermal conductivity, such as double or triple-pane windows with insulating gas between the panes, or by using window coverings such as curtains or blinds.

What are the practical applications of understanding energy transfer by conduction through a window?

Understanding energy transfer by conduction through a window is important in designing energy-efficient buildings and in finding ways to reduce energy consumption and costs. It also helps in developing better insulating materials for windows and improving the overall energy efficiency of a building.