How Do You Calculate the Work Done by Friction on a Skier?

• Thread starter neoncrazy101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Work
In summary, a 71.2-kg skier with an initial speed of 9.96 m/s coasts up a snow-covered hill at an angle of 31.4° with the horizontal. After traveling a distance of 2.04 m up the slope, the skier's speed decreases to 4.41 m/s. Using the equation Ef= Eo (aka 1/2mvf^2 + mghf = 1/2mvo^2 + mgho), the work done by the kinetic frictional force is calculated to be -2100J and the magnitude of the kinetic frictional force is 1030N. It is important to note that for energy, g is
neoncrazy101

Homework Statement

A 71.2-kg skier coasts up a snow-covered hill that makes an angle of 31.4 ° with the horizontal. The initial speed of the skier is 9.96 m/s. After coasting a distance of 2.04 m up the slope, the speed of the skier is 4.41 m/s. (a) Find the work done by the kinetic frictional force that acts on the skis. (b) What is the magnitude of the kinetic frictional force?

Homework Equations

Ef= Eo (aka 1/2mvf^2 + mghf = 1/2mvo^2 + mgho

The Attempt at a Solution

Final: 1/2(71.2)(4.41)2+71.2(-9.8)(1.74) = -521 (H=2.04cos(31.4), right?)
Initial: 1/2(71.2)(9.96)2+71(-9.8)(0) = 3531

The answer our phyrics program gives for this problem is A: -2100J and for B: 1030N. But I cannot figure this problem out. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle is with the horizontal, so the height should be 2.04sin(31.4)

Ok, that was one mistake but I must of done something else, I still get the wrong answer.

Final: 1/2(71.2)(4.41)2+(71.2)(-9.8)(1.06) = -47.27324
Initial: 1/2(71.2)(9.96)2+(71.2)(-9.8)(0) = 3531.57696

Ef - Eo = -3578.85284

The answer is supposed to be -2100J. Must be something else that I am doing wrong.

Your sign on g is wrong. The way you have it, the potential energy is lower when you are higher up.

Oh. that's works. I totally thought that it was supposed to be -9.8. thanks. Now I'm getting -2100.

For energy, g is almost always positive. In fact, it's best to leave g positive and determine the sign based on the coordinate system in use.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Work Done by Friction on a Skier?

1. What is energy work?

Energy work refers to a broad range of practices that focus on manipulating and balancing the energy fields of the body to improve physical, mental, and emotional well-being. It is based on the belief that everything in the universe is made up of energy, and by working with this energy, we can promote healing and harmony within ourselves.

2. How does energy work affect the body?

Energy work can have a variety of positive effects on the body, including reducing stress and anxiety, promoting relaxation, improving sleep, and boosting the immune system. It can also help relieve physical pain and tension, improve circulation, and promote overall physical and emotional balance.

3. What are some examples of energy work techniques?

Some common energy work techniques include Reiki, acupuncture, acupressure, qigong, and healing touch. These techniques may involve the use of hands-on touch, visualization, intention setting, or working with specific energy points or meridians in the body.

4. Is energy work backed by scientific evidence?

While there is still ongoing research and debate in the scientific community about the effectiveness of energy work, there have been some studies that have shown positive results. For example, a 2010 study found that Reiki improved heart rate variability and reduced stress in participants. However, more research is needed to fully understand the mechanisms and benefits of energy work.

5. Who can benefit from energy work?

Anyone can benefit from energy work, as it can help promote overall well-being and balance. It is often used as a complementary therapy alongside traditional medical treatments, but it is not a replacement for medical care. People with chronic pain, stress, anxiety, or other health concerns may find relief and improvement through energy work.