1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Statics Center of Gravity Problem

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the machine element shown, locate the x coordinate of the center of gravity.
    The picture of 2 different problems are attached

2. Relevant equations
    V = 1/3*a*b*h

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can figure out the coordinates fine for everything except the triangles. I looked at the solution for problem 96 and I can't seem to figure out why the solution is 2/3*66 + 34 (coordinate). I understand that the base would be x/3, or 66/3, which is true for problem 98, so why isnt it problem 96 using 34+ 1/3*66 and instead is using 34 +2/3*66? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have spent a long time on this and can't seem to figure it out. Also, would this be same for the y component as well? Thank you very much

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2010 #2
    I think the triangle you speak of is the 'empty' triangle in the xz plane. What is the x-coordinate of its centre of gravity? To check this, draw a plan of the triangle and obtain the position of G by joining the mid point of each side to its opposite corner. Hopefully this is enough for the penny to drop.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook