Calculating Entropy Changes in a Rigid Tank with Argon at Different Temperatures

So the final temperature of the argon would also be 0 degrees.In summary, a rigid tank containing 50.0 g of argon at 200°C and 100 kPa was placed in a reservoir at 0°C and allowed to cool to thermal equilibrium. Using the ideal gas law, the volume of the tank was calculated to be 49.2 L. The change in internal energy of the argon can be found using the equation Q-W. As for the energy transferred by heat, it can be calculated using the equation dQr/T. Since the reservoir is at a constant temperature, the final temperature of the argon would also be 0°C. Therefore, the change in entropy of both the argon
cmilho10
A rigid tank of small mass contains 50.0 g of argon, initially at 200°C and 100 kPa. The tank is placed into a reservoir at 0°C and is allowed to cool to thermal equilibrium. Calculate the following:
(a) the volume of the tank
(b) the change in internal energy of the argon
(c) the energy transferred by heat
(d) the change in entropy of the argon
(e) the change in entropy of the constant-temperature bath

I got the volume of the tank from PV=nRT to be 49.2 L which is correct

change in entropy=dQr/T

Change in Eint=Q-W

I'm not sure where to go from here because I do not know how to find the final temperature of the argon.

Physics news on Phys.org
you stated in your question that you let it cool to 0 degrees... i think that's the final temprature of the argon...

It says that the reservoir is at 0 degrees, so I didn't think that would necessarily be the final temperature of the argon cause I thought some of the heat from the argon would be exchanged as well...but maybe I am totally wrong here

If it's a thermal reservoir, then the temperature is assumed to remain constant.

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is represented by the symbol S and is often described as a measure of the system's energy that is unavailable for work.

2. How is entropy calculated?

The entropy of a system can be calculated using the equation S = kB ln(W), where kB is the Boltzmann constant and W is the number of microstates or possible arrangements of the system at a given energy level.

3. What is the relationship between entropy and temperature?

As temperature increases, the entropy of a system also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, there is more energy available for the particles in the system to move and arrange themselves in different configurations, increasing the number of microstates and thus, the entropy.

4. How does entropy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that in any process, there will always be some energy that is lost or dissipated as heat, leading to an increase in the overall entropy of the system.

5. What are some real-life applications of entropy calculation?

Entropy calculation is used in a variety of fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to understand and predict the behavior of systems. It is also used in information theory to measure the amount of uncertainty or randomness in a message or data. Additionally, entropy plays a crucial role in the design and efficiency of heat engines and other thermodynamic systems.